• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Goober

Goober

typo

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Are you a confectioner yourself or are you selling confectionary made by others? I'm trying to interpret 'selling confectionery as a business owner' in that light. Where are you noticing snobbery?

I produce confectionery and am new to selling confectionery as a business owner as opposed to selling from the position of an employee.

I notice snobbery everywhere within the food scene, it just appears with less reverance within confectionery circles. Critiques are often displayed disrespectful to their sources, while lauding their opinions with superiority. I've seen stores on social media take a public beating from a few very vocal and opinionated consumers who claimed to have worked in a kitchen before (not directed toward me). But you also see snobbery when authors like Greweling or Notter take a beating. These chefs are sharing their recipes and expertise to make confectionery production as approachable as possible to small confectioners and hobbyist.

Authors of industry textbooks like "Bernard W. Minifie ", "Emmanuel Ohene Afoakwa", "Geoff Talbot", "R. Lees", " W. P. Edwards" are not subjected to the same issues. Nor are the scientists that publish their papers. Why is that? It's because there is not much room for opinion as the material is not subjective - they are simply delivered as techniques and basic recipes.

As business owners, we want to sell products that will not only sell, but also be appreciated by our consumers. It is my experience that customers often like subtle flavours and perhaps that is what happened with the rhubarb recipe.

I am not a chocolate doctor though, so i may not be qualified to comment on anything in the end. I will see myself out.

Goober

Goober

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Are you a confectioner yourself or are you selling confectionary made by others? I'm trying to interpret 'selling confectionery as a business owner' in that light. Where are you noticing snobbery?

I produce confectionery and am new to selling confectionery as a business owner as opposed to selling from the position of an employee.

I notice snobbery everywhere within the food scene, it just appears with less reverance within confectionery circles. Critiques are often displayed disrespectful to their sources, while lauding their opinions with superiority. I've seen stores on social media take a public beating from a few very vocal and opinionated consumers who claimed to have worked in a kitchen before (not directed toward me). But you also see snobbery when authors like Greweling or Notter take a beating. These chefs are sharing their recipes and expertise to make confectionery production as approachable as possible to small confectioners and hobbyist.

Authors of industry textbooks like "Bernard W. Minifie ", "Emmanuel Ohene Afoakwa", "Geoff Talbot", "R. Lees", " W. P. Edwards" are not subjected to the same issues. Nor are the scientists that publish their papers. Why is that? It's because there is not much room for opinion as the material is not subjective - they are simply delivered as techniques and basic recipes.

As a business owners, we want to sell products that will not only sell, but also be appreciated by our consumers. It is my experience that customers often like subtle flavours and perhaps that is what happened with the rhubarb recipe.

I am not a chocolate doctor though, so i may not be qualified to comment on anything in the end. I will see myself out.