• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"I'm Not Rude, I'm just French..."

gulfporter

Canadian waiter filed discrimination suit after being fired, citing his culture is the reason for his demeanor.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/03/26/hes-not-rude-just-french-says-canadian-server/?utm_term=.e2b83902eaba

While the manager maintains that Rey was popular among customers, he claimed the French server was “combative and aggressive” toward his co-workers.

But Rey alleges the manager’s accusations are a form of “discrimination against my culture,” which “tends to be more direct and expressive,” according to his complaint.

I've lived in other cultures than my own for about half my life and very quickly realised that, if you are going to be happy and accepted, you have to accept the differences. I see myself as a guest and it is only polite.  Here in China,  I tolerate manners and customs that would be downright offensive in my culture and I may have accidentally offended people here in the earlier days through my ignorance. Rudeness is often not an absolute. 

In fact,  I worry about ever going home. My mother won't be pleased if I spit out my chicken or fish bones onto the table or the floor.

From the story, this guy seems not to be ignorant, but arrogant. Unfortunately, I've met more than a few like that here.  Of many nationalities.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Holy moly. The guy was fired for being an a**hole to his coworkers, not for being French.

I'm curious what the Human Rights Tribunal ruling would be. My understanding (from employment lawyers) is that the HRT more often than not tends to rule in the employee's favour. I hope Milestones has really good documentation.

The guy's quite full of himself, and doesn't seem to understand why others don't share that opinion!

I lived overseas for many years in a country with so many different nationalities it can make your head spin. There's a lot of complaint, but if you live somewhere that is not your birth country then you're the one who has to adapt, not them. You can sit with your compatriots and moan and groan over a beer or two about how "they" are so wrong about everything, but when you're out in public it's their call, not yours. The guy's a real piece of work. 

• Like 2