• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Making for Easter??

Easter Dinner

Deviled eggs ...traditional mustard...smoked trout...candied bacon (which was the winner by concensus)

016.thumb.jpg.4a041bf5e590eb1247c1ba54c8cbc3ff.jpg

Asparagus

021.thumb.jpg.172c6e9d41ac098d04910310b9060395.jpg

Roast pork (SV) in apple mustard jus

024.thumb.jpg.40cbfffd9bfe82880f3e436301f6a4c6.jpg

New Potatoes

025.thumb.jpg.9683a0e1f80a3b0663272e58a719504f.jpg

Cornbread madelaines with and without jalapeno

014.thumb.jpg.c9139a3d1e73571c1a023890b57f3ec1.jpg

Fruit Tart (made by my wife from an ATK recipe) really good.

007.thumb.jpg.e997f0a4478a5458ef2427a319682293.jpg

• Like 7

I didn't make anything special for Easter.

Still in a dental dilemma.

Who remembers the old coconut filled chocolate Easter bunnies of the 70s and prior?

They don't seem to exist now—at least not commercially.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I love coconut! LOL

I wasn't like a Mounds bar, but, more of a coconut cream.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I ended up making a milk- and egg-free chocolate mousse that actually turned out OK.  I compromised my principles and used non-dairy whipped topping and melted mini marshmallows instead of cream and eggs, but it was good quality chocolate so that made it edible.  Accompanied by pistachio marzipan "eggs" stuffed with dried sour cherries (that looked more like olives with pits!), dark chocolate bunnies - just a shell made in a mold, no filling, and strawberry sauce that I happened to have in the freezer.     Flavors were nice together, the mousse was soft and fluffy so I served it in a quennelle instead of my original idea of cutting a shape, and my SIL who is allergic to everything and is the reason I made this wasn't feeling well so didn't come.  Oh well, always good to have a challenge to test the ol' skillset.

The rest of dinner (cooked by Mom and brothers) was grilled lamb with chimichurri, rice pilaf, grilled asparagus, roasted carrots, butter lettuce salad, and lemon pot de creme.  All delicious.

And apparently the Pope says there's no Hell, so that's a relief.  :D

Happy Easter and Happy Equinox!

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1