• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Making for Easter??

We are leaving our Mexican home for several weeks, just after Easter.  I like to get all the proteins out of the freezer in case there's a power outage while we're gone.  

As luck would have it, I have most of the ingredients for a paella.  It's not an authentic paella but it's the first one I ever made back in 1980 from Pierre Franey's 60 Minute Gourmet cookbook.  I was a novice cook and we both worked, so it was my go-to cookbook for many years.  

• Like 3

Easter is one of the two holidays where my menu is traditional (the other is Thanksgiving), Glazed ham. Corn casserole. Asparagus. Green peas. Deviled eggs. Possibly potato salad, if I have a notion. Rolls. Strawberry shortcake for dessert.

On my list is an Appleton Farms ham from Aldi. My "glaze" is merely rubbing it down with ballpark mustard, and then liberally coating it in brown sugar, patting it down well so it adheres in a thick coat. Into the oven at 20 minutes per pound, 325. I've been baking hams this way for 30 years, and you just can't beat the glaze.

The glaze packet that comes with the ham, btw, makes great seasoning for baked beans.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Roast pork with Apple/sage/mustard jus..braised red cabbage...broccoli rabe if I can find it...cornbread (mandatory for our son) ...mashed potatoes...dev eggs...fruit tart. 

• Like 4

The Cape Malays living at the Cape of Good Hope, brought with them a culture of food that often included very spicy dishes, which was slowly introduced into the Europeans here. The traditional Easter dish in the Cape (now the Western Cape Province of South Africa) has, over the past couple of centuries, changed from European style dishes to "Pickled Fish". Firm fish was abundant at this time of the year and that, coupled with the eastern spices makes a delicious cold meal as it is still relativly hot, here, in the Southern Hemisphere. And that is what is on our menu for the holiday.

• Like 3

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

"Pickled Fish". Firm fish was abundant at this time of the year and that, coupled with the eastern spices makes a delicious cold meal as it is still relativly hot, here, in the Southern Hemisphere.

Can you maybe share your recipe in Recipe Gullet? Sounds like a winner for our summer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Can you maybe share your recipe in Recipe Gullet? Sounds like a winner for our summer

Done: 

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Doing lamb. Best piece I could see was a very large shank (image attached) which I'll slow cook in oven with masses of garlic and herbs and some mustard on a bed of older carrots. Toasted No-knead  brad to sop up juices and a huge salad of bitter young greens that incoporate the juices as well. Others bring dessert. 

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 6

I don't know, but I've been tasked with bringing a gluten, dairy, and egg free dessert.  Maybe a vegan chocolate mousse or water ganache type thing, or marzipan eggs & bunnies. 

The other dessert will be lemon pot de creme, which I'm not making, and I believe lamb for dinner.

• Like 2

I have no idea what I'm going to make or if I'm even going to bother with anything special. Right now, a lot of work and a big mess to clean up isn't feeling too tempting but we'll see if that changes before the weekend. 

44 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I've been tasked with bringing a gluten, dairy, and egg free dessert. 

You have my sympathies. I suppose it could be worse, at least you're allowed sugar. :D

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

24 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

You have my sympathies. I suppose it could be worse, at least you're allowed sugar. :D

Thanks.  And she's not vegan, so I could re-purpose some extra bacon-covered pecans into a pie, hmm ...

• Like 1

I intend changing not one jot because it's easter. Meaningless to me. However, I do intend to consume fried Goose egg on toast for breakfast, a snooze. Half a doz Oysters on the half shell for a late lunch with possibly lamb chops and chips. For supper the other half dozen oysters if they survive lunch. :rolleyes: D

• Like 2

With all of the crazy ladies in my life (mother in the beginnings of dementia, 93 year old grandmother who should be in assisted living, but refuses and lives 4 hours away, a daughter out of work for the 3rd time in 2 years and a sister who is using me as a psychologist) and having a cold that just won't let go of me, there was no way that I was going to host Easter dinner this year.   So I just kept my mouth shut until my SIL finally offered.  :laugh:  Yay.  She requested some kind of salad.  She is serving ham, broccoli, potatoes and rolls.  I will either do this one or this one.  Any opinions?

I'd not turn up my nose at either one, but the Love Potion sounds intriguing.

Or, how about a fruit salad? I have an excess of grapes. Thinking I'll make a grape and walnut salad.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'd vote for the love potion salad as well. Nothing against a caesar, but the blue cheese is the tie-breaker for me. I'm just not sure if it made me want a salad or a blue cheese burger. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

46 minutes ago, kayb said:

I'd not turn up my nose at either one, but the Love Potion sounds intriguing.

Or, how about a fruit salad? I have an excess of grapes. Thinking I'll make a grape and walnut salad.

With an excess of grapes, you might like this.

I think y'all are right.  Love Potion (isn't that the dumbest name?) it is, I think.  I might pass a bowl of the bleu cheese separately, though.  Mr. Kim's family is picky.  

One more to put in the mix: Fig and Arugula.  I have some TJ's frozen figs and wonder if they wouldn't work for this recipe.  What say?

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

With an excess of grapes, you might like this.

I think y'all are right.  Love Potion (isn't that the dumbest name?) it is, I think.  I might pass a bowl of the bleu cheese separately, though.  Mr. Kim's family is picky.  

One more to put in the mix: Fig and Arugula.  I have some TJ's frozen figs and wonder if they wouldn't work for this recipe.  What say?

I like the fig one. With all that you have going on, I suggest you do the easiest for you. I love the photos you post of your basic salad. I'd just add on from that. I know whatever you take will taste awesome and be appreciated. 

• Like 1

Easter is my favorite holiday because it’s an occasion to celebrate spring, and I associate it with a lot of good childhood memories.

The menu so far:

Snacks - Easter egg radishes with Brittany butter; wild boar salami

Endive salad with Meyer lemon, fava beans, and oil-cured olives (Suzanne Goin)

Lamb daube provençale (Anthony Bourdain)

Lemon tart (Anthony Bourdain)

I will probably add a chocolate dessert if time permits. We have a lot of chocolate lovers in the family! :)

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

We started with homemade sausage rolls...no picture but they were really good.

Seared scallops on a bed of spinach with a butter sauce.

Bistecka, sautéed mushroom with a touch of truffle oil, onion rings (from the air fryer topic); air fryer frites which I over did so they were a bit toooooo crunchy; and a salad to finish, no picture.  I have not eaten that much in a long time.  It was good.  My friend ate some of the black sesame ice cream we made earlier in the day...I was way to full.

DSC02366.thumb.jpg.7b05df049efba6878142dce1a2d09e3f.jpgDSC02365.thumb.jpg.befc620095b74f1df8f230bf8e893b39.jpgDSC02367.thumb.jpg.26a5a86c2b1a60d10917a7880a3ae944.jpgDSC02369.thumb.jpg.25dd74251d607362e100b29b4e4ff792.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 11

That paella I was going to make today........well, our power went out at 9AM on Friday.  One never (usually) knows the why or the when it might come back.  By 4PM we found out it was widespread based on a walk around town and then a car ride, farther afield.  Being it was Good Friday, when stores and businesses are closed, we figured the chances of it coming back on before Easter were low.  

So we made the paella for Friday dinner.  

Power came back on while it was simmering.  

• Like 3

Looks like I'm doing exactly what I said I was probably going to do for today's meal... nothing particularly special. Made the older daughter's b'day cake yesterday (a few days late but my work schedule and hers made it the most convenient time to do it), flourless chocolate cake topped with banana caramel and encased in passion fruit mousse. Younger, still at home, daughter wants spaghetti and meatballs today. Has to be miles away from anything Easter dinner traditional but it's what we're going to have. Dessert's going to be the extra passion fruit mousse I have left from the cake with shortbread cookies I'm working on right now. 

• Like 5

On 3/28/2018 at 9:47 PM, Kim Shook said:

With all of the crazy ladies in my life (mother in the beginnings of dementia, 93 year old grandmother who should be in assisted living, but refuses and lives 4 hours away, a daughter out of work for the 3rd time in 2 years and a sister who is using me as a psychologist) and having a cold that just won't let go of me, there was no way that I was going to host Easter dinner this year.   So I just kept my mouth shut until my SIL finally offered.  :laugh:  Yay.  She requested some kind of salad.  She is serving ham, broccoli, potatoes and rolls.  I will either do this one or this one.  Any opinions?

All the crazy ladies in your life ARE in your life.  Enjoy!  I am simply jealous.  My mother and grandmother are gone.  No siblings.  My son has a great job but he has lost a few jobs in the past.  

Sous vide boneless leg of lamb for DH and me tonight.  If you want to talk about menu ;)

• Like 6