• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Large-scale Chocolate panning

artiesel

Has anyone ever performed chocolate panning in a large industrial machine and used a single vessel for the panning AND the polishing steps?  The place i work has only one drum and I'd like to make use of it without purchasing a second drum.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by artiesel
Misspelled a word (log)

1 hour ago, artiesel said:

Has anyone ever performed chocolate panning in a large industrial machine and used a single vessel for the panning AND the polishing steps?  The place i work has only one drum and I'd like to make use of it without purchasing a second drum.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Are you thinking that you won't take the product out between coating and polishing steps - or that you just want to use one pan for both functions? Is it a ribbed or non ribbed pan?

Well - you'll get much better results if you remove the product from the pan and put it in rather flat pans overnight to cystallize before returning it to the pan to apply the polish and shellac. 

A ribbed pan is like this one - ribbed pan. It works best for the polishing part. But you can use a ribbed pan for both coating and polishing without too much trouble.

The pan that we have is NOT a ribbed pan.  

So the best results are obtained by allowing the product to fully crystallize prior to coating and polishing...

So if you coat and polish after all the chocolate has been added will the results be terrible?

8 minutes ago, artiesel said:

The pan that we have is NOT a ribbed pan.  

So the best results are obtained by allowing the product to fully crystallize prior to coating and polishing...

So if you coat and polish after all the chocolate has been added will the results be terrible?

If you mean if you coat and polish before allowing the product to completely dry? Yes the results will not be as good as if you allow it to dry.