• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Aerated Chocolate Candies

artiesel

I was curious if anyone has any experience making aerated chocolate candy (similar to those demonstrated by Grewling in Chocolates and Confections) that does NOT use a warmed ISI siphon to achieve this affect...  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/827255025273299428/

I was wondering if it might be possible to adapt a large siphon so that you could attach a large tank of compressed CO2 or NO to avoid the expense of all the little gas canisters?

Or am I just dreaming of something that's impossible?

Edited by artiesel (log)

Back when I was doing largish amounts of aerated chocolate for use in plated desserts, I used to think about ways to do it without the siphon and never came up with anything. I haven't done them recently but I'm very interested in seeing if you come up with something that works. It's also incredibly difficult (impossible?) to get the bubbles anything like that picture you linked without putting them in a chamber vacuum sealer and pulling a gentle vacuum to expand the bubbles further. I don't have a chamber sealer and I have no trouble getting results I can live with but they're not as nice and bubbly as that picture.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Back when I was doing largish amounts of aerated chocolate for use in plated desserts, I used to think about ways to do it without the siphon and never came up with anything.

How about blowing bubbles with an airbrush, with the tip just under the surface of tempered but liquid chocolate? 

5 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

How about blowing bubbles with an airbrush, with the tip just under the surface of tempered but liquid chocolate? 

Don't know if that would work or not. The siphon completely saturates the chocolate with bubbles very quickly which gives you time to chill it before they all collapse. The only reason I was looking for another way at the time was because I sometimes had a hard time getting chargers for my siphon where I live. Of course, since I rarely do it anymore, there's a store in town that keeps them in stock all the time now. 

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

pastrygirl, the issue with using an airbrush for making bubbles for candies or bars is that oxygen will hasten the rate at which the chocolate goes rancid.  Also, CO2, Nitrogen and Nitrous oxide are much more soluble in fat than O2.

• Like 1