• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice Storage Ideas

Anna N

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

Rubbing alcohol, if you have any traces left you want to clean up.

Drank it all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Those labels were a b**** to remove!   The previous owner must’ve been some sort of health enthusiast who was into all sorts of supplements. 

You need Goo Gone.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

I believe I can move things around in the kitchen enough to keep the spice rack on the counter

This is the one thing I wanted to avoid for my spice solution, as I REALLY didn't want anything else stored on my counter-top. But we each have our own priorities and various amounts of space around our kitchens, so every solution is likely to be a bit different, I guess.   :)

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

You need Goo Gone.  

Used Goo Gone.  Ain’t what it used to be!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

This is the one thing I wanted to avoid for my spice solution, as I REALLY didn't want anything else stored on my counter-top. But we each have our own priorities and various amounts of space around our kitchens, so every solution is likely to be a bit different, I guess.   :)

Indeed. And I have a second option in mind should it become annoying. I have a very large, low buffet  in the hallway off the kitchen and if it becomes annoying on my counter I will move it over there. One reason for having it in sight is to keep it in mind. I am hoping for a little more inspiration to use my herb and spice collection a little more frequently than just when I make Indian food.I am hoping for a little more inspiration to use my herb and spice collection a little more frequently than just when I make Indian food.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I really like these.  May I asked where you got them and what they are called?

Honestly, I got the picture from googling "sliding spice rack".  Got the actual one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for something like $20.  I didn't see any on a quick search of their website.  Bet that if they don't have it, amazon will.

• Like 1

Rule #3: Don't believe what you're told.  Double check.

We gave a ridiculously small NYC kitchen, so cupboard and counter space is at a premium... So everything goes on the wall. I got the containers at the Container Store and they magnetically stick to a white board I got from Staples.  Extras are thrown together ina bin in the cabinet.

20180330_120108.thumb.jpg.dcbf61285605756c3dad734b1183c5ce.jpg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

We gave a ridiculously small NYC kitchen, so cupboard and counter space is at a premium... So everything goes on the wall. I got the containers at the Container Store and they magnetically stick to a white board I got from Staples.  Extras are thrown together ina bin in the cabinet.

20180330_120108.thumb.jpg.dcbf61285605756c3dad734b1183c5ce.jpg

Used that idea for a long time but it certainly would not accommodate all the spices I use.  My fridge is nowhere near big enough to accommodate everything. But also I found eventually that the lids were almost impossible to remove. Now I admit the ones I was using were aluminum. Yours look as if they are stainless steel and might overcome the problem. 

I have five stainless steel ones and have put them into use on the fridge to accommodate my spice blends. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N I don't know what they're made from, but I don't have too much issue with sticking.  Also, there is a slot on the base, and a slot and also some holes in the lid so you can pour or shake the contents out without removing the lid.  And yes, we have more spices than this - but these are the ones that we used most frequently.  All of our spices come in plastic bags, so we just have one bin with all the bags of infrequent spices and another bin with more inventory of the ones on the wall.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

@Anna N I don't know what they're made from, but I don't have too much issue with sticking.  Also, there is a slot on the base, and a slot and also some holes in the lid so you can pour or shake the contents out without removing the lid.  And yes, we have more spices than this - but these are the ones that we used most frequently.  All of our spices come in plastic bags, so we just have one bin with all the bags of infrequent spices and another bin with more inventory of the ones on the wall.

Yes. Mine too had the shaker and the pour slots on the lids. But refilling them became a real problem. Except for the five stainless steel ones, I ditched the rest yesterday. Those five are still on my refrigerator filled with spice blends. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Well it took me far too many hours but I’m done.  It is an imperfect system but a huge improvement on what I had before. 

80EB0912-E422-4E78-B21F-DA1BA4BA6633.thumb.jpeg.72fe693a9d60088fbe9d590389493dd3.jpeg

A7129698-DBBC-4C8F-97EF-424E14895D77.thumb.jpeg.b17798facd684941cf3f6c06497c2cc0.jpeg

1ED1B7DF-7A16-429D-99CD-37013D56D3F5.thumb.jpeg.736026f5bab7c82f9b3068e5f3f86ed0.jpeg

Here are three set ups that are visible and very handy. The remainder are in boxes in the pantry and have been properly inventoried.  The one remaining task I need to do is to inventory the refills.

I tossed out an awful lot of dead grass, combined far too many duplicates triplicates and I won’t go any further than that. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well it took me far too many hours but I’m done.  It is an imperfect system but a huge improvement on what I had before. 

80EB0912-E422-4E78-B21F-DA1BA4BA6633.thumb.jpeg.72fe693a9d60088fbe9d590389493dd3.jpeg

A7129698-DBBC-4C8F-97EF-424E14895D77.thumb.jpeg.b17798facd684941cf3f6c06497c2cc0.jpeg

1ED1B7DF-7A16-429D-99CD-37013D56D3F5.thumb.jpeg.736026f5bab7c82f9b3068e5f3f86ed0.jpeg

Here are three set ups that are visible and very handy. The remainder are in boxes in the pantry and have been properly inventoried.  The one remaining task I need to do is to inventory the refills.

I tossed out an awful lot of dead grass, combined far too many duplicates triplicates and I won’t go any further than that. 

Oh excellent job!  I know it feels really good to get that all done.

Now, come down here and do mine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh excellent job!  I know it feels really good to get that all done.

Now, come down here and do mine.

Are you kidding me? I still have my freezer to finish. I’ve done about 3/4 of it and I’m exhausted. Love you dearly but sort your own spices. xDxD

• Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

You know...a storage solution has just occurred to me. If you could find, or have someone make, the right size wire grid that you could slip a straight-sided 4-oz (or 8 oz) jar through, that would catch on the rim where the lid screws down...one could put a series of them on sliders in a wooden cabinet. Canning jars are relatively inexpensive; less than a buck apiece.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My spices were out of CONTROL...they are tamed now, not perfect but I can find what I need. I combined two pantry spaces into one. My spices I prefer to buy are in the bags , I can reseal them and reuse them. The four black boxes are my spices. I keep a box with Indian spices and jerk, the hot stuff. One with baking, one with daily and a salt basket. I also have a costco set on the counter of 16 jars but the Man prefers that ..I don't really like it.

Before and After and I did purge some old spices...and why I had multiples of oregano...I dunno ;)

28471165_10155257617737703_6860977050047944378_n.jpg

28472048_10155257617887703_7374612850636477839_n.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

My spices were out of CONTROL...they are tamed now, not perfect but I can find what I need. I combined two pantry spaces into one. My spices I prefer to buy are in the bags , I can reseal them and reuse them. The four black boxes are my spices. I keep a box with Indian spices and jerk, the hot stuff. One with baking, one with daily and a salt basket. I also have a costco set on the counter of 16 jars but the Man prefers that ..I don't really like it.

Before and After and I did purge some old spices...and why I had multiples of oregano...I dunno ;)

28471165_10155257617737703_6860977050047944378_n.jpg

28472048_10155257617887703_7374612850636477839_n.jpg

And LOOK!  :oYou have a whole, empty shelf.  Such a rare sighting.....

That species is extinct at my house.

• Haha 6

Shelves of sauces, odd stuff, mason jars for the bulk spices & beans/grains, etc. (like to use the foodsaver lid vacuum sealer on the mason jars ..when I get around to it)

Small spice jars on the rack..needs a major overhaul..(don't remember the name of the racks..sorry)

After a bug infestation, we try to use mostly glass...( but not always..lazy)

pantry1.jpg

pantry2.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I thought I would bump this up because I had to move my spices from their current location.  My main kitchen is getting a down to the studs renovation starting this week. Luckily, my house has two kitchens, and my contractor did a minor refresh on the second kitchen (new counters and backsplash, painted the cabinets) before starting this gut job, so I will be able to continue cooking through the project.  Here is my spice storage setup for the duration:

5af8685a82d14_cabinet1.thumb.jpg.882620a2bf0316bcdadb689b2c967fad.jpg

5af8685d60669_cabinet2.thumb.jpg.eb65ecff9f7a6cc98ca0305a5a1c0c93.jpg

The main problem with this is that these cabinets are by the floor, so I will need to bend down to retrieve what I need.  Not ideal, but workable for now.

The overflow is in a large cabinet behind these cabinets.  Top shelf is bags of spices to refill the larger jars, the box on the left is doubles (mostly free samples from Penzeys) and the box on the right is very infrequently used items.  The bag in the back has my really small spice containers that I take on vacation.

overflow.thumb.jpg.312cec5f069c8ec0b5437212539dc2af.jpg

I still have not figured out how I am going to store the spices once my main kitchen renovation is complete.  My kitchen designer could not come up with anything that satisfied me.  

• Like 6

Since I organized my spices as best I could I have found I am much happier in my kitchen. I am much more willing to attempt some recipes and I’m much more willing to experiment a bit. Now if only I could address the rest of my tiny,  cramped, and overcrowded kitchen. xD  I desperately need an intervention. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, kayb said:

This is, perhaps, on the agenda this week for me.

Would that be organizing your spices or arranging an intervention for me? xD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Would that be organizing your spices or arranging an intervention for me? xD

It would be the spice storage, which comes after the kitchen excavation, both of which come after stashing the boots and winter shoes so I have room to get out the sandals, now that it seems to have gotten to be summer without the benefit of spring. Also on tomorrow's list is cleaning out the fridge, which is taking on a funky smell. Tuesday is working in the garden, along with real work. 

If you wish to schedule an intervention, I don't think I can fit you in until late June.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

It would be the spice storage, which comes after the kitchen excavation, both of which come after stashing the boots and winter shoes so I have room to get out the sandals, now that it seems to have gotten to be summer without the benefit of spring. Also on tomorrow's list is cleaning out the fridge, which is taking on a funky smell. Tuesday is working in the garden, along with real work. 

If you wish to schedule an intervention, I don't think I can fit you in until late June.

Oh well maybe next year.xD

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I still have not figured out how I am going to store the spices once my main kitchen renovation is complete.  My kitchen designer could not come up with anything that satisfied me.  

Oh no, this sounds dangerous! :)

I would hate to get my kitchen completely reno'd and then have to start thinking about how to store the spices. Would you be willing to share details (maybe photos or plans) here? Maybe someone would have some useful suggestions. 

• Like 1