• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Last Conversation You’ll Ever Need to Have About Eating Right

liuzhou

I hated Mark Bittman's "How To Cook Everything", as I've mentioned more than once, but this article by Bittman and David L. Katz seems to be full of sense and a good read.

The Last Conversation You’ll Ever Need to Have About Eating Right

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Hard to argue with it but Michael Pollan said it much more succintly:

“Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.”   

Too many of us ignore both of them or find it difficult to comply.  We still want a silver bullet.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I thought it was good, as well, because they kept it simple. I work with people who range the spectrum from highly educated about food, eats only organic (mostly due to food allergy issues) to moderately ignorant (type 1 diabetic who thinks there’s nothing wrong with his son drinking a whole Gatorade for breakfast, because he’ll “burn it up”) to heart attack waiting to happen (practically drinks ranch dressing and has fried chicken for lunch). If someone read it, I think they could grasp the message.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Thanks! I enjoyed reading it. My current pet peeve is people telling other people how to eat without knowing much about them. It's now possible to get a few tests done and find out a lot about what you as an individual really should or should not be eating. Between doctor's tests and genetic profiles like 23and me, a person can get sets of parameters to guide them. My favorite example is that I have a genetic propensity towards gout, but, by being a vegetarian since my teens have avoided any outbreaks or flareups of the disease. So, no, I am not going to try the paleo diet, nor will I try fish occasionally, and I am definitely not going to say I'm ok with foods flavored with beef/chicken/pork stock.

• Like 2

I couldn't get through the whole thing. Who is the expected audience for this article? I find the tone of the questions completely off-putting. The information in the answers is very basic. The impression I'm left with is that Bittman, once again, is a day late and a dollar short. This seems to be his MO. What can I say, I'm not objective here. I smell a book and overpriced speaking engagements. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought it was a bit snarky but completely on point. As someone noted earlier people want the "magic formula" and therefore common sense seems too simple; plus not marketable. I was reminded of Susan Powter who had questionable nutrition info but at least empowered women to eat again and to eat whole foods.. Do you all realize how many women are afraid of food?  That is a whole other forum. I sent it to my 95year old healthy  dad who adores Prevention magazine and he is sifting through it; not good with computer reading...

I thoroughly enjoyed it - informative, but also quite humorous in places.  I have to think that was the intention - especially on the question side.  It was long, but I think necessarily so.  I can't say there was much in there that was new to me,  but I was happy to have the current state of things clearly stated and confirmed.  I ignore so much nonsense that I sometimes start to wonder if I am missing anything (apparently not).

• Like 2