• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gator tenders

FeChef

I bought this almost a year ago frozen, i had it in my deep freezer for almost a year. Did a fast ice water thaw and used my go to chicken wing breading. These were very similar to frog legs, but more tender and juicy. 

8412601360437497446.thumb.jpg.d57db99dc0c09b5b89961745c2e8e05e.jpg5843081146208691454.thumb.jpg.17364d7167bcf5592cefc7d890a8fda5.jpg

• Like 4

I also really enjoyed the alligator tail my husband's construction crew accidentally ran over coming back from a Florida job. They kept it on ice the whole way back and I prepared and cooked it carefully. I don't really know if this was legal, but the deed was done, and it certainly seemed better than letting the meat go to waste. His crew knew I loved to cook because they were the occasional beneficiaries of some of my creations.

I've had it twice at a couple different restaurants, though, and didn't like it at all. Farmed alligators? Indifferent preparation? I dunno, but I wouldn't order it again out.

As far as I know, from our culture, we only eat the tail. @liuzhou, I can see the butcher going to work to perhaps harvest other meat from the carcass. Do they eat it all in China?

Maybe that's another explanation for my dislike of the alligator "nuggets" I ordered in restaurants. Maybe they were not from the preferred tail. Neither was a high end restaurant, and who knows what processing the "nuggets" were subjected to before they arrived on my plate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

> ^ . . ^ <

The tail meat i bought was nothing like the garbage ive had at restaurants . People that say it taste like chicken, probably got chicken, the gator meat i had taste nothing like chicken. Like i said, its like frog legs but more tender and more juicy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

As far as I know, from our culture, we only eat the tail. @liuzhou, I can see the butcher going to work to perhaps harvest other meat from the carcass. Do they eat it all in China?

Yes, I'm told the head is highly valued, but I guess they ascribe some traditional medicinal properties to it. I've only eaten the tail meat.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

indeed

it is like frogs legs.  and Ive only had the tail

in FLA   much like you made

@FeChef

it was a long time ago.

its getting to be that Much of Everything was a long time ago

Edited by rotuts (log)

Those look amazing!

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".