• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sweet Impact Mama

Coloring your own cocoa butter

Hi all. I have recently found an amazing company that is creating micro-refined plant-based color powder that actually dissolves beautifully in cocoa butter. I'm beyond thrilled with the results with blue - which, along with red, seems to be the hardest color to get true results with. I've been happy with the all-natural line that Chef Rubber makes, in terms of white, purple and yellow (mixed feelings about green), but could not get any true red or blue colors. 

But now I have a question about what cocoa butter you use, when you mix it. I currently had just kept a bag of non-deodorized, organic cocoa butter on hand for thinning out chocolate that needed it or for the unfortunate experiments with color blending. Now that I've got something that works, I've discovered that it is a terrible vehicle for airbrushing with - so much more overspray than the other Chef Rubber colors I've used.  

So, if anyone would care to share their experiences. Oh - I use a Paasche H, single action airbrush, 'cause I'm a newbie and it was the more recommended on these forums as a good, inexpensive starter brush. 

Thanks in advance! 

4 hours ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

Hi all. I have recently found an amazing company that is creating micro-refined plant-based color powder that actually dissolves beautifully in cocoa butter. I'm beyond thrilled with the results with blue - which, along with red, seems to be the hardest color to get true results with. I've been happy with the all-natural line that Chef Rubber makes, in terms of white, purple and yellow (mixed feelings about green), but could not get any true red or blue colors. 

But now I have a question about what cocoa butter you use, when you mix it. I currently had just kept a bag of non-deodorized, organic cocoa butter on hand for thinning out chocolate that needed it or for the unfortunate experiments with color blending. Now that I've got something that works, I've discovered that it is a terrible vehicle for airbrushing with - so much more overspray than the other Chef Rubber colors I've used.  

So, if anyone would care to share their experiences. Oh - I use a Paasche H, single action airbrush, 'cause I'm a newbie and it was the more recommended on these forums as a good, inexpensive starter brush. 

Thanks in advance! 

Any idea what the source of the cocoa butter you are using is? Certain cocoa butters have a much lower melting point than others which might make them less viscous at the same temperature and contribute to the overspray.

4 hours ago, felipetruji said:

Mind sharing your source for the natural colors?

I will happily, once I find out if they will even sell it to me in "user" quantities. Actually, heck, I'll share it, but be warned that I'm working with the R & D samples they sent me and I haven't had any pricing quoted yet. I got so frustrated with the other options that I did a deep dive on Google and came up with this company. https://sensientfoodcolors.com/en-us/application-confection/

36 minutes ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

Some Peruvian cocoa butter seems to be claiming a melting point of 33º C - which is about a degree lower than others - so perhaps that might be a factor. I know that Brazilian cocoa butter has a significantly lower melting point than others.

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Some Peruvian cocoa butter seems to be claiming a melting point of 33º C - which is about a degree lower than others - so perhaps that might be a factor. I know that Brazilian cocoa butter has a significantly lower melting point than others.

Kerry, do you have one that you prefer?

34 minutes ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

I will happily, once I find out if they will even sell it to me in "user" quantities. Actually, heck, I'll share it, but be warned that I'm working with the R & D samples they sent me and I haven't had any pricing quoted yet. I got so frustrated with the other options that I did a deep dive on Google and came up with this company. https://sensientfoodcolors.com/en-us/application-confection/

I've had samples from Sensient before - the natural colours were in the very early stages of development way back then and didn't last long. I suspect they may have improved over the years. 

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've had samples from Sensient before - the natural colours were in the very early stages of development way back then and didn't last long. I suspect they may have improved over the years. 

I'll be curious to see how these fare. They are the blue I used in my last Instagram post and I stocked them over at one of the local candy counters that carries my stuff... their lights are brutal on colors, so it will be a good test. 

Just now, Sweet Impact Mama said:

Kerry, do you have one that you prefer?

I tend to use the deodorized from Cacao Barry, Belcolade, Felchlin and lately some from Shokinag. 

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

I tend to use the deodorized from Cacao Barry, Belcolade, Felchlin and lately some from Shokinag. 

Thanks. I'll look into these.