• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2018

chefmd

Nice lists.  I checked my black and white composition book labeled Gastronomy and Food History and have quite a few of them in there.  I am especially looking forward to the Edna Lewis , Diana Henry and Edward Lee books.  Just picked up The Immigrant Cookbook which seems very timely.  Unfortunately it is adding more books to look at to my notebook..........

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

50 minutes ago, kayb said:

Anyone looked into Saladish, by Ilene Rosen? City Kitchen cooked from it in the NYT today. Looks interesting. I may have to get it.

Clickety

I thought I would grab a sample (Kindle) copy but apparently it will not be released in Canada until April 3. Very strange.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I thought I would grab a sample (Kindle) copy but apparently it will not be released in Canada until April 3. Very strange.

I believe that Kindle sample is the same as preview option.  You can go to US Amazon and take a look at it.  May be I am wrong and there is a difference...

19 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I believe that Kindle sample is the same as preview option.  You can go to US Amazon and take a look at it.  May be I am wrong and there is a difference...

Thanks.  I’m quite sure it is. My surprise was that it was not released in Canada. I much prefer to read a sample than to use the preview option on the Amazon site. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I wish they would include the list of recipes with previews.  That would help me to decide if I want the book or not.

I wholeheartedly agree.  A lot of the previews tell you little to nothing about what is actually in the book.  If I can't tell what's in the book, chances are slim to none that I will buy it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks.  I’m quite sure it is. My surprise was that it was not released in Canada. I much prefer to read a sample than to use the preview option on the Amazon site. 

Saladish hasn't been released as a Kindle in the US either. it's only on the site as a pre-order and no preview or sample is available yet. It's going to be released April 3 in both countries. But the hard-cover is available already - that's strange!

Saladish.thumb.jpg.0f7ea81b15c5a9af482af18a3abb8a56.jpg

Edited by FauxPas
to add image (log)

Yep. Very strange.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to the release of In the French Kitchen with Kids in July. Written by Mardi Michels - who is the teacher who invites me a couple of times a year to play with chocolate with her after school cooking club boys. Got mine preordered months ago. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a recent one that checked all the right boxes for me:  A Table in Venice by Skye McAlpine.  Good writing, lots of pictures, fine layout and typography (I can read it!).  Easy to follow recipes.  More importantly almost every page I would like to cook and eat.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Here is a recent one that checked all the right boxes for me:  A Table in Venice by Skye McAlpine.  Good writing, lots of pictures, fine layout and typography (I can read it!).  Easy to follow recipes.  More importantly almost every page I would like to cook and eat.

Please don't eat the pages.  They will be difficult to digest even after you cook them :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Please don't eat the pages.  They will be difficult to digest even after you cook them :)

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 8:55 AM, kayb said:

Anyone looked into Saladish, by Ilene Rosen? City Kitchen cooked from it in the NYT today. Looks interesting. I may have to get it.

Clickety

Go to the Index and you can see the list of recipes. Looks like an interesting book!

I have the Hachisu cookbook on Japan and Shaya's volume. Will probably get the one on Islam in the near future as well, or more likely for Xmas.

I've been meaning to cook from the Japan book but I keep getting distracted by my preference for Italian and Mediterranean....so many choices, not enough stomach space.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a Kitchen Arts and Letters post on the fall releases they find notable: Fall 2018 Notable Cookbooks

A quote

The books are here because we know the author’s work, or because we’ve sensed the excitement building among our customers, or because they’re addressing an unmet need of long standing. They’re not here because publishers are paying us placement fees to showcase them prominently, which is what happens at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Anne

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Which ones are you getting?  I do not think I need another Ottolenghi book.

I know what you mean. I've cooked quite a lot from the Ottolenghi books I own but there's plenty (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) in them that I haven't tried yet.  I feel sort of the same way about Dorie Greenspan.  Ina Garten, too, even though I don't own any of hers.  Both of them do put out rather reliable recipes, though.  

I pre-ordered Nik Sharma's Season and Lillie O’Brien's Five Seasons of Jam. I'm tempted to cancel that last one and get the Kindle version (which is available now) instead.

24 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Season caught my eye too.

in case you haven’t seen it, here’s a link to his website recipe index.  I think I will try a few, starting with the roast beets.

http://www.abrowntable.com/recipe-index/

I've been wanting to try the savory lamb swirl buns but haven't gotten around to it.