• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cdh

cdh

Saw this article in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/grandmas-food-how-changing-tastes-are-killing-german-restaurants/2018/03/19/de4c4994-0b93-11e8-8b0d-891602206fb7_story.html?tid=sm_fb.

I wonder if the issue is that German restaurants that had the social cache to be big money fine dining venues have lost that advantage.  I've never been to any of the spots mentioned in the article.  The best German food I've found in my corner of the USA is adjacent to Fort Dix in NJ, obviously aimed at folks who had been stationed in Germany and gained an appreciation of the local food there. Not a fine dining joint by any means.  Looks like its building began life as a fast food joint and got retrofitted into what it is now. Excellent schnitzels and spaetzles. 

What is your experience of German food in the USA (or where you are) lately?

cdh

cdh

Saw this article in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/grandmas-food-how-changing-tastes-are-killing-german-restaurants/2018/03/19/de4c4994-0b93-11e8-8b0d-891602206fb7_story.html?tid=sm_fb.

I wonder if the issue is that German restaurants that had the social cache to be big money fine dining venues have lost that advantage.  I've never been to any of the spots mentioned in the article.  The best German food I've found in my corner of the USA is adjacent to Fort Dix in NJ, obviously aimed at folks who had been stationed in Germany and gained an appreciation of the local food there. Not a fine dining joint by any means.  Looks like its building began life as a fast food joint and got retrofitted into what it is now. Excellent schnitzels and spaetzles. 

What is your experience of German food in the USA lately?