• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chefmd

chefmd

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I tend to use my cast iron and Darto pans more often but I agree that a non-stick can be good to have.   A couple of weeks ago, I read some reviews (incl the one that @lindag mentioned above) and replaced my 20+ year old pan with this 12-inch Tramontina non-stick fry pan.

So far, so good.  I don't have any illusions that it will last any longer than the 3-6 yrs that review estimates and for ~ 30 bucks, I thought it was reasonable.

I have this same pan but mine is 10 inch.  I like it.  It gets used very rarely.  I mostly use cast iron and Darto.  I prefer Darto over cast iron when cooking fish since I prefer not to wash my cast iron skillets.   Darto takes washing with hot water and dishwashing liquid like a champ.  Quick heating with a bit of bacon grease after wash and it is as good as new again.  Non stick pan is used to cook a thinner fish fillet and that's about it.

chefmd

chefmd

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I tend to use my cast iron and Darto pans more often but I agree that a non-stick can be good to have.   A couple of weeks ago, I read some reviews (incl the one that @lindag mentioned above) and replaced my 20+ year old pan with this 12-inch Tramontina non-stick fry pan.

So far, so good.  I don't have any illusions that it will last any longer than the 3-6 yrs that review estimates and for ~ 30 bucks, I thought it was reasonable.

I have this same pan but mine is 10 inch.  I like it.  It gets used very rarely.  I mostly use cast iron and Darto.  I prefer Darto over cast iron when cooking fish since I prefer not to wash my cast iron skillets.   Darto takes washing with hot water and dishwashing liquid as a champ.  Quick heating with a bit of bacon grease after wash and it is as good as new again.  Non stick pan is used to cook a thinner fish fillet and that's about it.