• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prerinse faucet in home kitchen

dscheidt

I need to replace the faucet at our kitchen sink.  It's currently got some unbranded chinese faucet, with a separate  prerinse sprayer.  I'm considering replacing it with a real commercial unit, possibly this one.  I have a different style (mine has an add-on faucet) in my laundry sink, and really like it.  Anyone have one in their home kitchen?  We don't have a huge sink (two bowls, about 30" wide), so I think one with a short hose would be a good choice. 

11 minutes ago, lindag said:

Way too much faucet for me unless I were planning to hose down my driveway.

My first reaction too.  Will be interesting to see how others respond especially someone who might have one. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I agree that it has too many hoses.  I've been very happy with kitchen faucets with heads that either spray or stream, depending on the button pressed, and that have flexible arms.  Here's the one in my trailer kitchen: 

20180318_174513.jpg

(It actually has a more generous stream than the photo would suggest, but we're in a place with very low water pressure right now.)

Note the spring and hoop that capture the faucet head but allow it to undock and swing freely for spraying purposes.  It works for my purposes - I will never again have a kitchen sink with a faucet that won't spray, if I can help it - but I don't like this design as well as the one at our house.  That one is a "pull-down" faucet, in which the spray/stream head is attached to a hose that retracts into the faucet. I prefer it because the hose is much longer than a spring-loaded faucet like the one above can allow. I also think its design looks less cluttered. Here's an example of a Delta pull-down faucet with a magnetic docking spray/stream head. 

Finally, the faucet you're looking at looks like the sprayer is more cumbersome to use: to turn that spray on, you squeeze it (occupying one hand); to keep it on, you move the little hoop down over the trigger.  Will that take two hands to get it to go? With the sprayer built into the faucet heat, it's a simple one-handed button push.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

We have either this model  or very close to it. I find that I don't use the sprayer very often because the splashing from the sprayer goes way beyond the sink, including my clothes.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Your first link, the Webstaurant store faucet is pretty much exactly the faucet I have used in several commercial kitchens. The small regular part is good for working with small, delicate items and those times when you just need to fill a small container with some water. The sprayer is more intense than most home sprayers, but the handle gives you a lot of control over the intensity. It's great for getting residue off dishes. I say 'yea' to it.

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I agree that it has too many hoses.  I've been very happy with kitchen faucets with heads that either spray or stream, depending on the button pressed, and that have flexible arms.  Here's the one in my trailer kitchen: 

20180318_174513.jpg

(It actually has a more generous stream than the photo would suggest, but we're in a place with very low water pressure right now.)

Note the spring and hoop that capture the faucet head but allow it to undock and swing freely for spraying purposes.  It works for my purposes - I will never again have a kitchen sink with a faucet that won't spray, if I can help it - but I don't like this design as well as the one at our house.  That one is a "pull-down" faucet, in which the spray/stream head is attached to a hose that retracts into the faucet. I prefer it because the hose is much longer than a spring-loaded faucet like the one above can allow. I also think its design looks less cluttered. Here's an example of a Delta pull-down faucet with a magnetic docking spray/stream head. 

Finally, the faucet you're looking at looks like the sprayer is more cumbersome to use: to turn that spray on, you squeeze it (occupying one hand); to keep it on, you move the little hoop down over the trigger.  Will that take two hands to get it to go? With the sprayer built into the faucet heat, it's a simple one-handed button push.

the big advantage is that you can turn the faucet off, but leave the taps on.  When you need to spay something, you just grab and squeeze.  Works great, uses little water, and is generally superior to the normal set up (like you have, or an old-fashioned side sprayer) where you have to leave the water running out of the faucet to be able to use the sprayer.  I expected my wife to hate the one that is currently installed (it came with the house), because I had tried hard to get her to let me replace the old places faucet with a pull down or pull out faucet, and she wouldn't let me.  She decided she likes it, though she thinks the roto-flex behemoth in the basement is silly.  (I fully admit it is overkill, but I got a smoking good deal on it, because it was old stock, not low-lead certified, and can't be installed in a commercial kitchen.  we don't drink out of the faucet, so I don't care.  It works great for all the utility cleaning things you do at a basement utility sink.)

• Like 2