• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate egg seams

Chocolate mom

When making large chocolate Easter eggs I find the seams ugly.  I have tried piping tempered chocolate rosettes around the egg, but the chocolate is too runny to hold it’s shape. What do chocolatiers use?  Is it chocolate royal icing, ganache or do I just let the chocolate cool to pipe?  I am a housewife with no formal training in chocolate making, who has taught herself from google, so please forgive my ignorance.  

9 minutes ago, Chocolate mom said:

When making large chocolate Easter eggs I find the seams ugly.  I have tried piping tempered chocolate rosettes around the egg, but the chocolate is too runny to hold it’s shape. What do chocolatiers use?  Is it chocolate royal icing, ganache or do I just let the chocolate cool to pipe?  I am a housewife with no formal training in chocolate making, who has taught herself from google, so please forgive my ignorance.  

If you add a little water or alcohol to the chocolate you can make it a pipeable consistency. Learned this from our own @chocartist - Elaine Gonzales in her book Chocolate Artistry. 

• Thanks 1