• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation for interesting / delicious?

paulraphael

In Brooklyn, this is not a major problem but, as you know, its a large borough.  If you’re in the Bklyn Heights area, you should try Noodle Pudding.  It’s a cash only Italian place that’s way better than the average and friendly.  We eat there 1-2x/week (at the bar).  Fresh fish, great homemade pastas, not a red sauce place.  If you’re not drinking much, I think that Henry’s End is still around $150 all in for 2 people.  Another very friendly local place that’s been around for a long time - they have a web site.  In Park Slope, I’d recommend going to Nargis, an Uzbek place that just opened this year.  In Clinton Hill, check out Mekelberg’s (the owner is an eG poster).  Many others in Brooklyn — more upon request.

I’ll let others chime in for Manhattan - it’s doable but there aren’t as many quality places for this price any longer.

Queens has tons of ethnic food from Latin America & Tibet along Roosevelt Ave and, of course, the best Chinatown in NYC is in Flushing and surrounding areas.  All way under your price range and definitely not tablecloth places.

• Like 1

My girlfriend and I love Cull & Pistol, the Lobster Place's restaurant in Chelsea Market: https://lobsterplace.com/pages/restaurant-welcome

Wonderful fresh fish and seafood and delicious dishes. If you decide to go, I could give you some recommendations, though their menu changes. The way my girlfriend and I dine there is to share a small item (a "snack" or something like a single uni), an app, a main and a side. The restaurant is a bit at close quarters, but that's really the only down side.

Going in a different direction, if you like yakitori, you can go to Yakitori Totto: http://www.tottonyc.com/

Get there just before opening time, so you won't have much of a wait, or show up when you like, give them your cellphone number and have some drinks at the Irish bar across the street while you're waiting. If you avoid sake at Yakitori Totto, you will be very easily under $75/person and might pay that amount or less for both of you. If you do go, I can give you recommendations - lots of them. Most items are excellent, but not everything, and some are particularly good.

• Like 1

Michael aka "Pan"

Otway or Olmsted in Brooklyn.

Wildair on the lower east side.

Bacaro is a very nice room, with good enough food and reasonable prices. they also have a good happy hour, with some $1 snacks and inexpensive wines and a cocktail or two. You could have a drink and some snacks at the bar upstairs, and then head downstairs for dinner.

Otto, if you're not boycotting B & B.

Just keep in mind that at $75, all in, you're looking at about $60 pp, before tax and tip.  If you have glass of wine each, that'll knock you down to about $45 pp for food, all in.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?