• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation for Manhattan or Brooklyn coffee roaster?

PassionateAmateur

In Brooklyn, both Stumptown and Toby's Estate have local roasters. There's a small shop at Newkirk Plaza called Coffee Mob that roasts its own and usually does a great job. I don't know where Joe's Art of Coffee and 9th St. Espresso roast, but it's somewhere local. They both know what they're doing (although I've only had their expressos inhouse; have never taken beans home). I don't recommend Gorilla (bad roasting). Haven't tried Brooklyn Roasting Company. 

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2018 at 6:34 PM, PassionateAmateur said:

Ooo--Newkirk Plaza's just one subway stop way!  Thanks so much, I'll hit Coffee Mob this weekend.

Did you ever make it in? They're still my favorite coffee shop in the city. Buck's been doing more blends lately, while my favorites are the single origins. He does blends because most of his customers buy milk drinks, and he can get a better balance for those with a blend. 

The blends still make a pretty great espresso. Usually he does just two coffees ... a Central American and and East African. He has personal relationships with most of the farmers. 

These coffees have really spoiled me. In the last year I've had decent espressos at Café Grumpy and 3rd Rail, but everywhere else in Manhattan has ranged from passable to disaster.

Edited to add: if you're buying beans, he sells them all as single origins.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

I think Joe's roasts up at their shop on W. 21st St.?

I've never been to Coffee Mob; good excuse to take a ride to Brooklyn this week!

I've been a coffee subscription person for a while now, but when I run low in between deliveries, I walk over to Grumpy on Essex fo a bag - I do find their beans good for my pour over stuff. And it appears they roast in Brooklyn as well.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 10/14/2019 at 12:50 AM, paulraphael said:

These coffees have really spoiled me. In the last year I've had decent espressos at Café Grumpy and 3rd Rail, but everywhere else in Manhattan has ranged from passable to disaster.

I've given up on espresso at coffee shops (maybe in San Francisco, definitely in Italy, but that's a whole, different ball game) here in NYC; tired of throwing over $3 to a shitty coffee. And I can't remember the last time I've ordered a milk included drink.

Friends whose judgement I trust definitely enjoy the drinks at Abraço.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

In Portland you can get great espressos much more reliably.

I should go back to Abraço. Been many years. Is it still standing room only?

One problem here is that even the places that know what they're doing tend to cater to milk drink-drinkers. Even at the best espresso bars, very few customers order espresso. So the priority is roasts and shots that stand up to milk, and that don't clash with the almond/oat/coconut milks that people like. So really distinct, fruity, single origin shots with a lot of character are hard to come by.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, paulraphael said:

In Portland you can get great espressos much more reliably.

I should go back to Abraço. Been many years. Is it still standing room only?

One problem here is that even the places that know what they're doing tend to cater to milk drink-drinkers. Even at the best espresso bars, very few customers order espresso. So the priority is roasts and shots that stand up to milk, and that don't clash with the almond/oat/coconut milks that people like. So really distinct, fruity, single origin shots with a lot of character are hard to come by.

Yeah, but think of all the money you'll save by not going to Portland! 

Abraco now is nice and roomy, with seats and tables. And well-made cocktails in the eve. 

Agree about the issue with espresso and milk drinks , which no self-respecting Italian would be caught dead consuming after, say, 11 AM.  They might as well use Folger's for those milky things.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Ha. I'm not a milk drink guy, but I wouldn't go quite that far. While milk can make terrible coffee tolerable (have you heard of this place called Starbucks?) it doesn't have to completely obliterate the underlying flavors. I think the better roasters, by popular demand, are going for flavors that can stand up to the milk. And ones do so without clashing with some of the other flavors people like to add. 

After many attempts, I've figured out how to preserve coffee origin flavors in coffee ice cream. I now almost always make it with very fruity, natural process single origins. If the flavors can hold up to that, they'll hold up to a cappuccino. 

• Like 2