• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Darkest couvertures in wholesale quantities

pastrygirl

What are the best, darkest chocolates you've found in wholesale quantities?  Aside from 100%, that is ... I'm thinking in the 75-90% range, available in quantities of 5-20 kg.  It's definitely niche, but between the chocolate nerds and the low-carb-ers there's a market.

Right now, 72% Felchlin Arriba is the darkest I use, in a bar with candied orange.   I have not tried their Elvesia 74% or Sao Palme 75% but it looks like I can get them from AUI.  A Felchlin 88% exists, but would be a special order arriving in a few months (their next container shipment?).  

Valrhona makes the Abinao 85% but that would be another special order.  I'm pretty sure I tried it at one point and liked it.  Does anyone keep it in stock?

How is KaKao Berlin?  They have a Brandenberg 75% but I'm not familiar with the brand.

Any others?  Or I could make my own and have the super dark be my one bean-to bar flavor ...

thanks!

Chocosphere and Worldwide Chocolate both sell Michel Cluizel Le Noir Infini 99%, which strangely is edible as a bittersweet chocolate, if only barely. Lighter than that, I pretty much lump everything north of 65% together, and choose based on flavor. My favorite single origin at the moment Cluizel Villa Gracinda, which is only 67%, but it tastes as dark as any of higher percentage bittersweet chocolates I've had. Many people have given good reviews to lindt 85%, but I'm distracted by the chalky texture.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

My personal favorite for 80% or higher is Kah Kow's 82%. It's a Dominican Republic chocolate maker and they have the best mouth feel, in my opinion, for full on dark. The flavor profile of it is completely unique.  Their 72% cacao is one of my favorite eating chocolates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keychris said:

I'm a fan of the Felchlin 88%, but almost every non-chocolate obsessed person I've given some to taste has not liked it ("It's too dark")

I know, most people who claim to like dark chocolate are perfectly happy with 60%.  But I have one friend who keeps bugging me about something super dark that fits his Keto diet (though he might get the cheese Easter egg instead). 

Have you had the 88% recently enough that you can recall any tasting notes?  Spicy, raisiny, citrusy, etc?  What other flavors would you pair it with?

Edited by pastrygirl
tasting notes (log)

2 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I was at Trader Joe's and picked up a bar of Valrhona 85% 'Le Noir Extra Amer'

Do y'all think it's the same as the 85% Abinao or would they have multiple different 85% formulations?

I would bet it's completely different. They have different formulations at many cocoa levels. Le Noir Amer is blend that's been around a long time. Valhrona doesn't publish where the chocolate comes from, as far as I know. I was guessing Abinau was a single origin, but it looks like a blend from plantations in a particular region in Africa. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

On 3/22/2018 at 1:53 PM, pastrygirl said:

I was at Trader Joe's and picked up a bar of Valrhona 85% 'Le Noir Extra Amer'

Do y'all think it's the same as the 85% Abinao or would they have multiple different 85% formulations?

So just following up for future reference, I got a sample of the Abinao 85% and i think it is a little smoother and fruitier than the Le Noir 85% bar.  Plus, Chocosphere has Abinao in a bar so Valrhona must have different 85%s if they're making different bars for retail.

Now what to do with it  besides snack on the samples ...