• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

18th Century Cooking Videos

chromedome

...the cooking, of course, not the videos. The people who make the videos have a business providing authentic recreations of 18th/19th century goods to re-enactors, "living museum" attractions, and suchlike. There are 10 seasons' worth, if this catches your fancy. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Thanks for clearing that up. I had a mental picture of Matthew Brady with a kineoscope (which I don't think came along until the next century).

• Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

OH! These videos are so cool!!! 

One of my friends threw a 16th birthday party for her daughter.  I helped her make all the foods from the Townsend's videos.  They planned to act out a murder mystery throughout the dinner,  which took place in an 18th century setting.  So, the food had to fit the era. 

We made the little "pots" of ancient pastry type dough, filled with raw meats- some chicken and some beef; and made a lid out of the pastry dough with a hole in it. After it baked for a while, you'd pour in gravy, if I recall correctly. It was quite tasty.  I can't remember all the other items, but it was quite a bit of fun cooking like that.  

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: