• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Issues Podcast

paulraphael

Anyone listen to this? It keeps me company at the gym on endurance days.

Dave is the former Grand Poobah of food science and technology at ICE, has the excellent/defunct cooking issues blog, a defunct/soon-resurrected avant garde NYC cocktail bar, and knows as much about all-things-culinary as anyone on the Modernist Cuisine team. 

The style of the show is irreverent, wildly discursive, and steeped in in-jokes. The tone is Bugs Bunny on crack. 

If these don't clash with your personal esthetics, you'll probably find it informative, and maybe even entertaining.

Bonus: the global audience seems to be about a dozen culinary nut jobs, so if you call in with a question, you'll probably get through.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

I used to read the CI blog religiously, but I don't really have the patience to listen to a whole podcast where many of the topics are of no interest to me...  I always liked Dave's sense of humor in the blog and listened to a couple of podcasts early on, but haven't had the time or inclination since then.  Is there an index or something?  If I could read the index and then skip to the parts that I wanted to, that would interest me...

I think Evan Kleiman's Good Good from KCRW is great. 
The Splendid Table can also be very good, although sometimes super irritating. 

I haven't found a Heritage show that works for me. There's a sort of forced casualness that makes me nuts. I want information and lots of it and if you can deliver it in an entertaining way, all the better, but it see,ms like the hosts are most intent on showing what a good time they're having or how cool they are. I stopped listening about 2 years ago so to be fair, I should give them another shot. 

• Like 2

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

If a podcast is more noise than information I can't bear it. Mostly I'd rather read than listen....unless it is humor e.g. Gilbert Gottfrieds podcast....no good in print. 

• Like 1

I cast the podcast throughout the house via Google Home Group—makes listening extremely easy.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Ive been listening on and off for a few years. Nearly always enjoyed it. The Kitchen Cabinet is a very good podcast. It's an extended version of the BBC Radio 4 programme. The host is Jay Rayner. Also listen to "The Fridge Light" from CBC radio. I have to be driving or something long and tedious.......like gardening! Almost never listen at home as I don't have the boredom Gene when home...never.D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's the only podcast I listen to religiously. Dave is utterly hilarious and even if it's not something I care about it's super entertaining. Called in several times, you might hear me as "Chris from the Green Zone in DC"

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me about it. I hadn't listened to it in a while (I used to read Dave Arnold's blog too, many years ago).

This morning I listened to the episode with Sother Teague from Amor Y Amargo. Good stuff! :) Entertaining and interesting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to them all, and I've called/written in a few times. About two weeks ago I finally made the connection that Hassouni was "Chris from the Green Zone in DC." Good times.

There's a good amount of ranting and rambling and raving on Cooking Issues, and that's a benefit as well as a drawback. If it doesn't bother you, then you're in for a free-wheeling treat. If you need a host that doesn't have attention deficit disorder, it may not be the show for you.

It's definitely the show for me though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Listened to them all, and I've called/written in a few times. About two weeks ago I finally made the connection that Hassouni was "Chris from the Green Zone in DC." Good times.

There's a good amount of ranting and rambling and raving on Cooking Issues, and that's a benefit as well as a drawback. If it doesn't bother you, then you're in for a free-wheeling treat. If you need a host that doesn't have attention deficit disorder, it may not be the show for you.

It's definitely the show for me though.

That's my favorite part!

Also I can tell you from drunkenly meeting Dave at Tales last year, he has a predilection for Rumple Minze

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, Hassouni said:

It's the only podcast I listen to religiously. Dave is utterly hilarious and even if it's not something I care about it's super entertaining. Called in several times, you might hear me as "Chris from the Green Zone in DC"

I just heard you in Episode 304. :) 

(I am going through all episodes backwards and they are pretty hilarious, I have to agree! My daughter who is 11.5 is a fan now because we listen to it in the car, it's our new routine!)

• Like 1

One of the first times I wrote in, Dave went on a rant about how my name sounded like some arena where they apparently used to have monster truck rallies. Or was it professional wrestling events? In any event, he ended up screaming my name in the manner of a monster truck rally TV commercial. "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!" Another classic Dave digression. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, btbyrd said:

One of the first times I wrote in, Dave went on a rant about how my name sounded like some arena where they apparently used to have monster truck rallies. Or was it professional wrestling events? In any event, he ended up screaming my name in the manner of a monster truck rally TV commercial. "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!" Another classic Dave digression. 

Definitely was monster trucks

• Like 1