• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

T(art)...

DianaB

Came across this on Facebook:

I don’t often make tarts but am tempted by some of these ideas...  I have no link to the creator of the film.  Apologies if it has been posted elsewhere, I did search but haven’t found the same.

Edited by DianaB (log)
  • Like 3

Honestly, most of those pies in the video are raw. They won't look as precise if baked, and they certainly won't be as colorful. There are a bunch of people posting this sort of thing on Pinterest and people try to copy it and get very disappointed when their baked final product does not look or taste as good. Real pie crust, if it's going to be flaky, is going to rise and shift in the oven.

I really dislike cooked apple/pear/plum/peach/etc skins in pie. To me the texture is like strips of plastic. All of those cute looking raw pies will bake up into pies with terrible interior textures.

Overall, I find it really unrealistic and in many cases inedible.

22 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

Honestly, most of those pies in the video are raw. They won't look as precise if baked, and they certainly won't be as colorful. There are a bunch of people posting this sort of thing on Pinterest and people try to copy it and get very disappointed when their baked final product does not look or taste as good. Real pie crust, if it's going to be flaky, is going to rise and shift in the oven.

I really dislike cooked apple/pear/plum/peach/etc skins in pie. To me the texture is like strips of plastic. All of those cute looking raw pies will bake up into pies with terrible interior textures.

Overall, I find it really unrealistic and in many cases inedible.

True, that.  There are easier ways to make attractive desserts, which don't require long hours cutting and crimping pastry.

I was incorrect! It looks like the woman in the video in the original post does make her own crust—recipe on her blog:

http://ourdeliciousfood.com/recipes

I have too many other projects right now, but I’m excited to try it out. I have never heard of using carbonated mineral water in pie dough. She also uses egg, which I’ve only ever used in tart dough, never in my pies.  

On 3/14/2018 at 6:50 AM, DianaB said:

Came across this on Facebook:

I don’t often make tarts but am tempted by some of these ideas...  I have no link to the creator of the film.  Apologies if it has been posted elsewhere, I did search but haven’t found the same.

Her name is Karin Pfeiff Boschek. She’s on instagram and she has a blog: http://ourdeliciousfood.com/

• Like 1