• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Collection of Vintage Cooking Equipment/Techie's Toys

TechieTechie

Okay, since it's a snow day here in MA (blizzard conditions) I thought I would start a new thread, Techie's Toys.

I grew up in a small town in Ohio, home to White Westinghouse, Tappan, Dominion, and yes, the Shawshank Redemption. Because we came from limited means with 4 kids, I was always taught to find the value in something. Old is okay, as long as it's high quality (homes, boats, cars, consumer goods). And, since I grew up in the 70s, 50s and 60s appliances were all around (heck, I can still remember when a microwave was an anomaly). And, I have always loved late 1890s and early 1900s architectural styles.

So, as an adult, I have started to collect useable pieces of cooking art. Older, quality pieces that have (and hopefully will) stand the test of time. And, these gently used pieces have the added benefit of helping to keep at least a tiny piece of the earth from being destroyed by new manufacturing.

And in this thread, I will show off my admittedly very small collection in hopes that others will find the joy in vintage (of whatever vintage) kitchen goods.

• Like 3

Rescued from my mom's house, when I was packing up the house after she departed...

Flint.JPG.c38745799454414cb69072a767388ed4.JPG

I'd say vintage 1950's, since I do remember them as a kid.  Flint is the name of the company, stainless steel, wooden handles.  There might be other pieces I'm missing.

In damn good shape, I'd say!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A wonderful thing it is to have tools from one's Parents.

In the Kitchen or in the Garage

i have three electrical cutters / pliers that say ;

"  Bell Labs  , 3-21-34 "  on then

work like charms.

I had a chef's knife , < 1950 w a walnut handle worn smooth from use , high carboy steel , black as night.

two small very inexpensive paring knives , I remember my Grandmother using.

All three stolen, and probably dumped in the dump.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

The first (and admittedly largest) toy is my new to me O'Keefe and Merritt Stove.  For those who are not familiar with OKM (as they are commonly known), here is the history:

Two former Pacific Stove Co. employees (bearing those surnames) started this firm in Los Angeles in the early 20th century. By the midcentury, O&M was vying with the older Bay Area-based Wedgewood for supremacy on the West Coast. Ohio-based Tappan purchased OKM in 1951 and subsequent owners Frigidaire and Electrolux kept producing stoves under this brand until the '90s.Their Aristocrat is considered by cognoscenti the ne plus ultra of midcentury stoves.(source: SF Gate https://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/A-guide-to-satisfying-the-burning-love-for-5631753.php)

Midcentury (1950s) modern stoves are considered the golden age of vintage stoves because they were built like tanks, but before cheaper manufacturing approaches (and heavier use of plastic) started occurring in the late 1950s. But, they have a lot of the same features and safety as modern ranges, with 3 major exceptions....they still have pilot lights, no convection and no electronics. The former two may be a deal killer for some, the latter is actually a benefit IMHO.

My 1953 OKM is a model 850, the 2nd highest end model, save the massive Aristocrat. It’s a 40", 6 burner, double oven model, with bottom broiler. It has a combination of 12k and 15k BTU open burners. It also has:

-Full simmer capabilities on all burners

-"Spider" burner covers Can slide pots between burners - as on many professional cooktops

-Fully lined (on all 4 sides) double oven that fits a ½ sheet span and can fit a 15lb turkey

-Fully removable cook surface to clean spills underneath

-Broiler with an enameled inside

-Enameled shelves under burners which catch pan jump-outs and can be pulled out and cleaned

-Small Pot- and pan-storage compartment

-Middle burners can accommodate a full griddle

-Stove cover that folds up to become a shelf that can be used during cooking for a cookbook, spices, potholders, you name it.

-Uses Shaw heating controls, and the entire stove can be dissembled and rebuilt.  

It was in the same family (in Phoenix) until I bought it approx 3 years ago....it is currently in storage until I finish my kitchen renovation. With the exception of 1 chip to the enamel on the front foot, it is in excellent shape, though I do plan on sending the pieces out for rechroming, replacing the insulation, and having the thermostats and regulators rebuilt.

Other examples (including the Aristocrat/Town and Country) can be seen here:

http://www.dreamstoves.com/o-keefe---merritt.html

MyOKM.jpg

Burner1.jpg

Clock1.jpg

Cooktop1.jpg

FrontOvenOpen.jpg

Oven1.jpg

Edited by TechieTechie
More pics! (log)
  • Like 6

Looks like the top folds and rests against the back.

Pilot lights are not code here any more.  But I like no electronics; even in a blackout, I can light my stove and/or rangetop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Beautiful stove!  

I love visiting this local shop, Antique and Vintage Stove Shop to admire their selection. 

I've always hoped to get a vintage stove someday, preferably a red one but I'm not sure it will happen.  Maybe someday!

Here's a couple similar to @TechieTechie's but with solid doors: link and link

• Like 2

this is what the top was like on my parents ' range ' :

100_1936.jpg.8824fbc0c0750cd240a32c52accfbf91.jpg

it was cleaned regularly  but once a year it became a project 

then looked like the above.  the griddle did have some sort of temp dial in it I recall

• Like 5

@rotuts

What you are seeing in the corners is simply the end of the chrome top.  The top (called a vanishing shelf) folds up out of the way, like the picture. Since mine is a 6 burner, I will likely buy a griddle from Grapevine Sally on the 'bay...and just set it over the middle 2 burners.

SampleVanishingShelf.gif

GrapevineSallyGriddle.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weinoo said:

Pilot lights are not code here any more.  But I like no electronics; even in a blackout, I can light my stove and/or rangetop.

Weinoo, this stove has a pilot with safety valve for the oven, and I can shut off the pilots on the stovetop...so from what I can read, I will be legal in MA. Fingers crossed.

25 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Very nice stove!  Does it have a thermowell?

No, thermowells were a Chambers brand distinction only found on Chambers. I chose OKM over Chambers because the OKM oven was larger, it had a 2nd full size oven, the burner BTUs are higher than Chambers (12/15k versus 9k), and I'd prefer 3 more burners rather than a thermowell. But Chambers have their devotees, so they must be doing something right!

Good news is that I just found a Antique Stove repair guy in Greater Boston. Whoo Hoo!!!!!

Edited by TechieTechie (log)
  • Like 3

Made the mistake of looking at the Aristocrat on your link upthread. Oh. My. 

I'm sure a perfectly-restored unit probably costs as much as starter houses do in my neck of the woods, but... (sigh). Want. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 3/13/2018 at 2:01 PM, TechieTechie said:

Sorry, it is an unused Sunbeam CG-1, 1250 watts. Mmm, grilled prosciutto, mozz, tomato and pesto sammie, here I come :)

SunbeamToaster2.jpg

SunbeamToaster1.jpg

We had that exact same one - mostly for grilled cheese!

• Like 3

On 3/13/2018 at 10:26 AM, TechieTechie said:

And with that...I am going to use my new to me GE waffle iron/griddle. Pics to come. Need food and warmth after shoveling the walk for the 2nd time today

Here's a tip:  If you're into the good old stuff, I recommend the Sunbeam T-21 toaster.  It had an electric eye that measured the degree of browning.

Sunbeam toaster.jpg

• Like 4