• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

6 hours ago, lindag said:

A lot like the one my folks had in the late fifties, don't remember what the make was but I do think the deep-well was on the right in the back.  Mom made some mighty fine meals on that stove.

chexking photos of these stoves on Google tells me my memory is off; the deep wells are all on the left side.

On these Airliners (and a modern $$$$ Lacanche I cooked on last year in Paris), the wells are actually another hob, but designed to be lowered into the body of the range to accomodate the pot.  By the time I inherited the Airliner, the pot and cover pictured in Andie's photo were long gone, and the coil was moved up.  The only sign that hob is different is a wider SS trim ring.  I scrounged another pot and cover.  It's really a nice feature, along with the warming drawer.

The Lacanche's moveable hob was an induction coil.

boilsover

boilsover

1 hour ago, lindag said:

A lot like the one my folks had in the late fifties, don't remember what the make was but I do think the deep-well was on the right in the back.  Mom made some mighty fine meals on that stove.

chexking photos of these stoves on Google tells me my memory is off; the deep wells are all on the left side.

On these Airliners (and a modern $$$$ Lacanche I cooked on last year in Paris, the wells are actually another hob, but designed to be lowered into the body of the range to accomodate the pot.  By the time I inherited the Airliner, the pot and cover pictured in Andie's photo were long gone, and the coil was moved up.  The only sign that hob is different is a wider SS trim ring.  I scrounged another pot and cover.  It's really a nice feature, along with the warming drawer.

The Lacanche's moveable hob was an induction coil.