• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

More pics!

The first (and admittedly largest) toy is my new to me O'Keefe and Merritt Stove.  For those who are not familiar with OKM (as they are commonly known), here is the history:

Two former Pacific Stove Co. employees (bearing those surnames) started this firm in Los Angeles in the early 20th century. By the midcentury, O&M was vying with the older Bay Area-based Wedgewood for supremacy on the West Coast. Ohio-based Tappan purchased OKM in 1951 and subsequent owners Frigidaire and Electrolux kept producing stoves under this brand until the '90s.Their Aristocrat is considered by cognoscenti the ne plus ultra of midcentury stoves.(source: SF Gate https://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/A-guide-to-satisfying-the-burning-love-for-5631753.php)

Midcentury (1950s) modern stoves are considered the golden age of vintage stoves because they were built like tanks, but before cheaper manufacturing approaches (and heavier use of plastic) started occurring in the late 1950s. But, they have a lot of the same features and safety as modern ranges, with 3 major exceptions....they still have pilot lights, no convection and no electronics. The former two may be a deal killer for some, the latter is actually a benefit IMHO.

My 1953 OKM is a model 850, the 2nd highest end model, save the massive Aristocrat. It’s a 40", 6 burner, double oven model, with bottom broiler. It has a combination of 12k and 15k BTU open burners. It also has:

-Full simmer capabilities on all burners

-"Spider" burner covers Can slide pots between burners - as on many professional cooktops

-Fully lined (on all 4 sides) double oven that fits a ½ sheet span and can fit a 15lb turkey

-Fully removable cook surface to clean spills underneath

-Broiler with an enameled inside

-Enameled shelves under burners which catch pan jump-outs and can be pulled out and cleaned

-Small Pot- and pan-storage compartment

-Middle burners can accommodate a full griddle

-Stove cover that folds up to become a shelf that can be used during cooking for a cookbook, spices, potholders, you name it.

-Uses Shaw heating controls, and the entire stove can be dissembled and rebuilt.  

It was in the same family (in Phoenix) until I bought it approx 3 years ago....it is currently in storage until I finish my kitchen renovation. With the exception of 1 chip to the enamel on the front foot, it is in excellent shape, though I do plan on sending the pieces out for rechroming, replacing the insulation, and having the thermostats and regulators rebuilt.

Other examples (including the Aristocrat/Town and Country) can be seen here:

http://www.dreamstoves.com/o-keefe---merritt.html

MyOKM.jpg

Burner1.jpg

Clock1.jpg

Cooktop1.jpg

FrontOvenOpen.jpg

Oven1.jpg

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

The first (and admittedly largest) toy is my new to me O'Keefe and Merritt Stove.  For those who are not familiar with OKM (as they are commonly known), here is the history:

Two former Pacific Stove Co. employees (bearing those surnames) started this firm in Los Angeles in the early 20th century. By the midcentury, O&M was vying with the older Bay Area-based Wedgewood for supremacy on the West Coast. Ohio-based Tappan purchased OKM in 1951 and subsequent owners Frigidaire and Electrolux kept producing stoves under this brand until the '90s.Their Aristocrat is considered by cognoscenti the ne plus ultra of midcentury stoves.(source: SF Gate https://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/A-guide-to-satisfying-the-burning-love-for-5631753.php)

Midcentury (1950s) modern stoves are considered the golden age of vintage stoves because they were built like tanks, but before cheaper manufacturing approaches (and heavier use of plastic) started occurring in the late 1950s. But, they have a lot of the same features and safety as modern ranges, with 3 major exceptions....they still have pilot lights, no convection and no electronics. The former two may be a deal killer for some, the latter is actually a benefit IMHO.

My 1953 OKM is a model 850, the 2nd highest end model, save the massive Aristocrat. It’s a 40", 6 burner, double oven model, with bottom broiler. It has a combination of 12k and 15k BTU open burners. It also has:

-"Spider" burner covers Can slide pots between burners - as on many professional cooktops

-Fully lined (on all 4 sides) double oven that fits a ½ sheet span and can fit a 15lb turkey

-Enameled shelves under burners which catch pan jump-outs and can be pulled out and cleaned

-Stove cover that folds up to become a shelf that can be used during cooking for a cookbook, spices, potholders, you name it.

-Uses Shaw heating controls, and the entire stove can be dissembled and rebuilt.  

It was in the same family (in Phoenix) until I bought it approx 3 years ago....it is currently in storage until I finish my kitchen renovation. With the exception of 1 chip to the enamel on the front foot, it is in excellent shape, though I do plan on sending the pieces out for rechroming, replacing the insulation, and having the thermostats and regulators rebuilt.

MyOKM.jpg

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

My OKM is a model 850, the 2nd highest end model, save the massive Aristocrat. It’s a 40", 6 burner, double oven model, with bottom broiler. It has a combination of 12k and 15k BTU open burners. It also has:

My baby (which is currently in storage until I finish my kitchen renovation. Other examples (including the Aristocrat/Town and Country) can be seen here: