• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ahh, Bisto! The Gravy Mix

Mmmpomps

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Bisto ain't bad, but the best was Burdall's Gravy Salts, which were sadly discontinued.  I can't remember why.

However, some one got hold of the recipe and sells it as Old Jake's Gravy Saviour. Indistinguishable from the original.

And it seems almost as easy to order as a custom knife from Japan.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 hours ago, gfweb said:

I'm awaiting the taste tests with great interest. 

Its hard for me to imagine this isn't the sort of stuff my mother served me as a kid...which was sad even then. 

Well, it is better than McCormick's (or Frenches', or whatever it's called now).  But it isn't miraculous.  I mostly use it to augment or thicken gravies/sauces.   My beef stew and pot roast just don't 'work' without a little Bisto and Kitchen Bouquet.  All by itself, I find it a little...gelatinous.  But then I tend to dislike cornstarch thickened sauces.  So, YMMV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Well, it is better than McCormick's (or Frenches', or whatever it's called now).  But it isn't miraculous.  I mostly use it to augment or thicken gravies/sauces.   My beef stew and pot roast just don't 'work' without a little Bisto and Kitchen Bouquet.  All by itself, I find it a little...gelatinous.  But then I tend to dislike cornstarch thickened sauces.  So, YMMV.

I use Gravy Master for color, ...wondra , or starch to thicken or, rarely, a roux. 

Six of one...

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, lindag said:

At Amazon US prices that would be less than $1.

Well, in World Market prices it was 1.80.  But I saw it, it was on sale, I bought it.  Brought it home.  Veni, vidi, vici.  

Edited by chefmd (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lindag said:

I placed my order for beef Bisto on Amazon on March 12.  Still waiting for it to arrive.  The new ‘expected by’ datei is April 13.

wow.

Where did you order it from? I ordered some from Amazon and had it in 2 weeks.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, lindag said:

I placed my order for beef Bisto on Amazon on March 12.  Still waiting for it to arrive.  The new ‘expected by’ datei is April 13.

wow.

April 13 has come and gone and still no Bisto.  I sent an email to the retailer (UK) asking that they re-send.

Hopefully it'll come in less than another month.  

• Sad 4

• 1 month later...

I ordered some about 5 weeks ago after reading this thread and wanting to try the stuff.  Purchased from a UK seller through Amazon but it never showed (no tracking information).  I reached out to them yesterday and they are re-sending the order.  I guess I have a couple more weeks to wait.

• Sad 1

Good luck.  I’m on my THIRD shipment now and still waiting for the first one that was due two months ago.

So far nothing,

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Sad 1

On 3/16/2018 at 8:31 PM, gfweb said:

I use Gravy Master for color, ...wondra , or starch to thicken or, rarely, a roux. 

Six of one...

We were a gravy master house, too.  I still use it, but I don't make gravy like my mother at all.  I do it traditional with a roux, drippings, and some gravy master to round out the taste

• Like 1

Made our first batch of chicken gravy.  Very easy.  The flavour is quite bland...I even added some salt believe it or not.

i think if I made it with some of my concentrated home made stock it would be better.  Need to play around with it.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Made our first batch of chicken gravy.  Very easy.  The flavour is quite bland...I even added some salt believe it or not.

i think if I made it with some of my concentrated home made stock it would be better.  Need to play around with it.  

Oh thats too bad! I've only used the beef bisto so this is good to know!

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 9:42 AM, lindag said:

wow.

The second shipment didn't make it either.  Decided to cancel the order and try a different seller.  Third time was a charm for me and it showed up in less than a week!  

• Like 1