• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ahh, Bisto! The Gravy Mix

Mmmpomps

On the UK Bisto website they list the ingredients of all their products as well as the preparation method.

The powder is mixed in cold water and heated while stirring.  The ingredients are:  potato starch, salt, wheat starch, colour, yeast powder, onion powder.

The graduales  go straight into boiling water.  The ingredient list is much longer:  potato starch, maltodextrin, palm oil, salt, flavouring, wheat flour, colour, sugar, flavour enhancer, emulsifier.

if they taste pretty much the same I think I would prefer the powder for less additives.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

On the UK Bisto website they list the ingredients of all their products as well as the preparation method.

The powder is mixed in cold water and heated while stirring.  The ingredients are:  potato starch, salt, wheat starch, colour, yeast powder, onion powder.

The graduales  go straight into boiling water.  The ingredient list is much longer:  potato starch, maltodextrin, palm oil, salt, flavouring, wheat flour, colour, sugar, flavour enhancer, emulsifier.

if they taste pretty much the same I think I would prefer the powder for less additives.

The powder reminds me of any gravy mix you can get in Canada , now the granules...they are magic ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

66DFE494-6689-458C-B408-7199779C5989.thumb.jpeg.064d44a5486fe19e9a36bfd03afe82e7.jpeg

TaDa. Found in my local Longos in Oakville. Although it does not seem to say so anywhere on the label,  shaking it suggests granules rather than powder. Again no mention of beef/chicken/turkey so I’m assuming it’s a generic gravy flavour?

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

keen on your take with this

I love gravy

currently , and for a long long time 

Ive been using Minors.

mostly the lower salt Turkey and Roasted Chicken

these ;

http://www.soupbase.com/Low-Reduced-Sodium-Bases-Gels/products/6/

the lower salt allows me to add more base to get to my ' salt point .

Ive tried many of these over the years.

the Beef , all of them  don't suit me too much

as I taste less beef than tomato paste

commercial salt is an issue for me

not just yet

but I know what's coming around the corner 

as some point

so I try to avoid Comercial Salt now

not the same as  slat in your own home from fresh ingredients.

• Like 1

Just now, rotuts said:

P.S. :  whats the NaCl in that stuff ?

Per 1/2 TBS/4.8 g 12%/280 mg. But I ask you when does anyone ever measure gravy by the half tablespoon?But I ask you when does anyone ever measure gravy by the half tablespoon?

• Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My order is coming soon from Amazon.

For a little over $2 USD I just had to try it out for myself.  I'm thinking it’s be great to have on hand for Cornish pasties and meatloaf.

Wait, now I need to put meatloaf on my to-do list.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

On 3/14/2018 at 12:23 PM, Anna N said:

66DFE494-6689-458C-B408-7199779C5989.thumb.jpeg.064d44a5486fe19e9a36bfd03afe82e7.jpeg

TaDa. Found in my local Longos in Oakville. Although it does not seem to say so anywhere on the label,  shaking it suggests granules rather than powder. Again no mention of beef/chicken/turkey so I’m assuming it’s a generic gravy flavour?

You assume correctly. Let us know how you like it.

Just now, demiglace said:

You assume correctly. Let us know how you like it.

I am very curious as to how generic gravy tastes.  It quite boggles my mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I guess the Q's is :

how much NaCl pre the recommended granules + the water they ask for to get

So Much Gravy.

Ive always found for 

commercial gravy preps

independently to the Final taste

which might be + or -

they are selling you NaCl.

a bit OT ;

its not Bistro

but Im very happy with the Minors  Roasted Chicken and their lower salt turkey , 

which they carry from another vendor but you buy from them

you keep the pint or so tubs of ' paste ' in the freezer.

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I guess the Q's is :

how much NaCl pre the recommended granules + the water they ask for to get

So Much Gravy.

Ive always found for 

commercial gravy preps

independently to the Final taste

which might be + or -

they are selling you NaCl.

The instructions are to add 2 tablespoons of the granules to 1 cup of boiling water. So no matter how you look at it it has a high sodium content. A quarter cup of the gravy would still contain 280 mg of salt.  And I accept that is it is a concern to some but gravy is a treat for me.  It’s not something I eat every day or even every week. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

point taken.

Id like to hear about what it tastes like.

300 mg is not so bad for a serving BTW

I am putting off tasting it so that I can anticipate that much longer before I’m let down. xDxDxD

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The instructions are to add 2 tablespoons of the granules to 1 cup of boiling water. So no matter how you look at it it has a high sodium content. A quarter cup of the gravy would still contain 280 mg of salt.  And I accept that is it is a concern to some but gravy is a treat for me.  It’s not something I eat every day or even every week. 

The manager of the British store I went to years ago seemed perturbed that I was still using powdered Bisto. She said she makes gravy in the roasting pan and just before it's done she shakes some granules in the gravy, stirs it up and it's done. I bought a can of the granules but went back to powder.

Edited by demiglace (log)
  • Like 1

i have no ' Beef ' items of any kind that will help make a ' beefy ' gravy 

the Minors , have too much tomato paste for my taste.

Im Doomed 

fortunately 

Its rare I'd like Beef Gravy

but when its really really Beefy and good

its not Turkey nor Chicken

and its in its own dimension 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am very curious as to how generic gravy tastes.  It quite boggles my mind. 

But it does say "For Beef Dishes - Pour Plats au Boeuf" right under SAUCE INSTANTANÉE.... 

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

But it does say "For Beef Dishes - Pour Plats au Boeuf" right under SAUCE INSTANTANÉE.... 

Good catch. I missed that. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Bisto ain't bad, but the best was Burdall's Gravy Salts, which were sadly discontinued.  I can't remember why.

However, some one got hold of the recipe and sells it as Old Jake's Gravy Saviour. Indistinguishable from the original.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'm awaiting the taste tests with great interest. 

Its hard for me to imagine this isn't the sort of stuff my mother served me as a kid...which was sad even then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2