• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ahh, Bisto! The Gravy Mix

Mmmpomps

Host's note: this discussion was split from the Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5) topic.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:30 PM, Okanagancook said:

@Mmmpomps delicious looking meal and as a gravy lover, yours is especially appealing.  I will ignore those retched Brussels sprouts :B

I do make good gravy if I don't say so m'self ;) but I brought back Ahh Bisto gravy mix from England...just add granules to boiling water and some of the meat juices, stir and crazy delicious gravy in about 30 seconds!

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Bisto is a family tradition for me...being from England also.

When a friend at my Aunt's house asked her son if he wanted gravy then proceeded  to boil water and go to the cupboard and add a few tablespoons of powder..quick stir and served it. I was a bit stuck up about it..like we could have made REAL gravy if you wanted....well I changed my tune fast ;) 

I found out amazon.ca sells it for a reasonable price!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mmmpomps said:

When a friend at my Aunt's house asked her son if he wanted gravy then proceeded  to boil water and go to the cupboard and add a few tablespoons of powder..quick stir and served it. I was a bit stuck up about it..like we could have made REAL gravy if you wanted....well I changed my tune fast ;) 

I found out amazon.ca sells it for a reasonable price!

I grew up with Bisto.  My uncle, who owned a grocery store and a horse and dray to deliver groceries called me and my younger brother The Bisto Kids.  But when I look on Amazon.ca  I see many versions of Bisto.  Can you direct me to the one that so impressed you? 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

I grew up with Bisto.  My uncle, who owned a grocery store and a horse and dray to deliver groceries called me and my younger brother The Bisto Kids.  But when I look on Amazon.ca  I see many versions of Bisto.  Can you direct me to the one that so impressed you? 

Then bisto kds ;)

Here is what I'm using: https://www.amazon.ca/Bisto-5010024101381-Gravy-Granules-170g/dp/B000KEJQ9C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520819468&sr=8-4&keywords=bisto+gravy+granules

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, demiglace said:

I grew up with Bisto too. The British stores around here sell it. 

Thanks! We have a fair number of British stores around here. Some of them are very close to where @Kerry Beal and I hang out so I shall have to check. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Pretty sure I've seen it at Superstore. I'll be there this morning to teach a class, so I'll have a look. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 hours ago, Mmmpomps said:

I'm assuming that the red container shown here is of the beef variety...the label doesn't indicate it.

• Like 2

On 2018-03-10 at 9:58 PM, Mmmpomps said:

I do make good gravy if I don't say so m'self ;) but I brought back Ahh Bisto gravy mix from England...just add granules to boiling water and some of the meat juices, stir and crazy delicious gravy in about 30 seconds!

For @gfweb:D

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

For @gfweb:D

Somehow they have also captured the essence/memory of good highschool gravy from the 80's!  
I have a question about gravy...who saves it in the fridge? My Aunt actually tosses any leftover gravy on the day of making as she believes it can make you potentially deathly ill! I confess I save gravy but I may have tossed the bit of Bisto gravy out ....just in case ;)

34 minutes ago, Mmmpomps said:

Somehow they have also captured the essence/memory of good highschool gravy from the 80's!  
I have a question about gravy...who saves it in the fridge? My Aunt actually tosses any leftover gravy on the day of making as she believes it can make you potentially deathly ill! I confess I save gravy but I may have tossed the bit of Bisto gravy out ....just in case ;)

Not sure why gravy should be any more of a potential hazard than any other leftover. I am inclined to limit leftovers to three days which is probably anal. I would also seriously consider pouring it into an ice cube tray and freezing it. When there’s only one of you a couple of cubes of gravy can be enough. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Pretty sure I've seen it at Superstore. I'll be there this morning to teach a class, so I'll have a look. 

Our local grocery stores only seem to carry the powdered Bisto, not the granules. Let us know what you find.

Edited by demiglace
spelling (log)

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not sure why gravy should be any more of a potential hazard than any other leftover. I am inclined to limit leftovers to three days which is probably anal. I would also seriously consider pouring it into an ice cube tray and freezing it. When there’s only one of you a couple of cubes of gravy can be enough. 

Oh yes good suggestion on the ice cube tray! 

I'm three day limit too...better save then sorry.

• Like 1

I grew up with Bisto, too.  My late stepdad was English ( @Ted Fairhead), and his mum would bring boxes over when she came once a year.  We finally started being able to get it in local stores.  My mom insists that the granules aren't as good as the powder, so I get the powder for her when I can.  I can't tell the difference.  I do like Bisto and still use it.  Usually I make my own gravy, but it provides a 'boost' of color and flavor and it beats extra flour as a thickener.  

I also happily save gravy in the fridge or freezer.  To me, gravy is the point of roasting a piece of beef or chicken and tossing it is horrifying!  I have made a meal of rice and gravy or even bread and gravy!

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I have made a meal of rice and gravy or even bread and gravy!

A woman after my own heart. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Now you've got me thinking of bread and gravy.  My mother was not a good cook with anything that didn't require hours of slow cooking. One of her best dinners was the Sunday pot roast, and the gravy was the best gravy a person could ask for. I always hd a piece of bread and gravy as the finale to her Sunday pot roast dinners.  She always use to fret about burning the vegetables she cooked with the pot roast.  I always used to tell her that the vegetables weren't burnt, they were caramelized which is why they were so good and her gravy even better. The meat pies she made with the leftovers were really good.

When I was in college, down the street and around the corner from where I roomed was an old fashioned drug store, and there were booths in  the back where they served meals cooked in a kitchen no bigger than a closet and with a big old stove.  They would also indulge me with bread and gravy when I wanted to top off a pot roast dinner.

Now I have to go do the dinner dishes, while trying not to start humming "those were the days my friend....."  because, frankly, those dear old college days sucked, and the pot  roast at the drugstore was was one of the few highlights.

• Like 8

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

6 minutes ago, Mmmpomps said:

I wonder if this is the same as the granules? .....

Hmm, I'm wondering also. When I look around, I do some discussions of powder vs granules. I don't know the difference really. I see it argued different ways. Here's one example:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx34CE9KO4WGUEQ?_encoding=UTF8&sort=helpful

But I have seen people show preferences one way or another and sometimes for the same reasons. And that's just a quick search! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

A woman after my own heart. 

Rice and gravy is good, but gravy bread is the best ever!

• Like 3

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

32 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Hmm, I'm wondering also. When I look around, I do some discussions of powder vs granules. I don't know the difference really. I see it argued different ways. Here's one example:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx34CE9KO4WGUEQ?_encoding=UTF8&sort=helpful

But I have seen people show preferences one way or another and sometimes for the same reasons. And that's just a quick search! 

It appears to be the instant part that really impressed me with the granules!

14 minutes ago, caroled said:

Rice and gravy is good, but gravy bread is the best ever!

And there are people who think we are all sophisticates.xD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog