• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

I grew up with Bisto, too.  My late stepdad was English ( @Ted Fairhead), and his mum would bring boxes over when she came once a year.  We finally started being able to get it in local stores.  My mom insists that the granules aren't as good as the powder, so I get the powder for her when I can.  I can't tell the difference.  I do like Bisto and still use it.  Usually I make my own gravy, but it provides a 'boost' of color and flavor and it beats extra flour as a thickener.  

I also happily save gravy in the fridge or freezer.  To me, gravy is the point of roasting a piece of beef or chicken and tossing it is horrifying!  I have made a meal of rice and gravy or even bread and gravy!

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

I grew up with Bisto, too.  I late stepdad was English ( @Ted Fairhead), and his mum would bring boxes over when she came once a year.  We finally started being able to get it in local stores.  My mom insists that the granules aren't as good as the powder, so I get the powder for her when I can.  I can't tell the difference.  I do like Bisto and still use it.  Usually I make my own gravy, but it provides a 'boost' of color and flavor and it beats extra flour as a thickener.  

I also happily save gravy in the fridge or freezer.  To me, gravy is the point of roasting a piece of beef or chicken and tossing it is horrifying!  I have made a meal of rice and gravy or even bread and gravy!