• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in North Yorkshire

I realise that few in this international community will visit North Yorkshire but if members do find themselves in this part of England and are looking for somewhere to eat I would recommend the Crathorne Arms, website here: http://www.thecrathornearms.co.uk/

The establishment is managed by Eugene McCoy, his family have owned and or managed a number of excellent restaurants, the Tontine is perhaps the best known although the McCoys are no longer involved.  The company that now owns the Tontine has recently spent a small fortune on a refit and the place is now marketed as a boutique hotel.  I’m not sure what qualifies a hotel as ‘boutique’ but it will be interesting to see if the restaurant reflects the excellence we enjoyed when the McCoys were there.

The ambience at the Crathorne Arms is warm and welcoming.  They offer an option of fixed price menus alongside their full menu.  The seafood pancake starter has been served, I think, at all McCoy establishments.  In my view it is worth a visit to Crathorne just for that!  Last time we ate there I had beef wellington and my husband enjoyed classic steak in pepper sauce.  Service is always with a smile.  There are live music nights from time to time and in summer there are tables outside.

Crathorne is a small village but it includes Crathorne Hall, a much larger hotel/restaurant.  Web searches can result in confusion!  I haven’t eaten at the Hall in recent years but we won a luxury weekend stay there around 20 years ago.  Food was included, management hadn’t been to,d whether wine was also a part of the prize.  They kindly decided that it was.  We live less than 10 minutes from Crathorne so it was handy to go home each day to feed the cats!  It was also great that we could both enjoy a couple of glasses of wine with dinner knowing that neither of us would need to drive home.

I rarely recommend places because of course everyone’s tastes are individual to them.  I have made this exception because we have never been in any way disappointed with food eaten at the Crathorne Arms

• Like 3

Thank you for posting this, Diana!  Mr. Kim and I are hoping desperately to get back to England next year.  We were there in 2011 and spent our time in the Cotswolds and south of them.  We were supposed to come this year, but my mother's health issues prevented it.  The next trip, we plan on heading north - including Yorkshire and the Lake District.  Will add this to my growing notes.  It looks lovely.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

North Yorkshire places we enjoyed in 2015:

Anvil Inn, Sawdon

Estbeck House, Sandsend

Lanterna, Scarborough

Star Inn, Harome

White Swan, Pickering

Willowgate, Pickering.

• Like 1

John Hartley

On 05/04/2018 at 2:02 PM, Harters said:

North Yorkshire places we enjoyed in 2015:

Anvil Inn, Sawdon

Estbeck House, Sandsend

Lanterna, Scarborough

Star Inn, Harome

White Swan, Pickering

Willowgate, Pickering.

I am certainly aware of the Star Inn at Harome, ate there many years ago before Mr Michelin visited and had one of the most memorable dishes of my life: wild mushroom broth, a starter in those days.  The ambiance is beautiful at Harome.  Victor, manager of the White Swan at Pickering, was perhaps too anxious to learn about their plates rather than the quality of the food.  His menu was also very good in those days.  The problem with that corner of North Yorks is the traffic.  During the summer months the line of vehicles heading for the coast makes life very difficult for ‘locals’.  We passed through a few months ago and nothing had changed.  Great to visit Ryedale in the winter but complicated otherwise which is a pity for us as we have extended family in that area. 

I look forward to trying some of the other suggestions.  Today brought a recommendation for Brockley Hall at Saltburn-by-the-Sea; a little further north but perhaps also worth a visit.