• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

Venturing into gluten free cooking this weekend for friends who will be staying with us. She doesn't eat guten by choice, not an allergy. She has told me that "should gluten pass my lips, it's not the end of the world." That being said I don't mind catering to her. I'm wondering about any tips for using gluten free tortillas to make enchiladas. (She is also a pescatarian.) I made GF enchilaa sauce and will do sweet potato, black bean, onions, peppers and mushrooms and cheese. Just a little nervous about how the GF tortillas will hold up as enchiladas. We are good friends so if it is a disaster, we will just laugh and eat the sides. The ingredients in the tortillas are cassava flour, oat hull fibre, oil, lethicin, xanthan gum, guar gum, baking powder... I know corn tortillas may have been a better choice, but in these parts, we only get small ones, about 4" diameter and they seem to have an infinite shelf life.

The second night we'll have grilled fish and salad, so no concerns there.

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

Venturing into gluten free cooking this weekend for friends who will be staying with us. She doesn't eat guten by choice, not an allergy. She has told me that "should gluten pass my lips, it's not the end of the world." That being said I don't mind catering to her. I'm wondering about any tips for using gluten free tortillas to make enchiladas. (She is also a pescatarian.) I made GF enchilaa sauce and will do sweet potato, black bean, onions, peppers and mushrooms and cheese. Just a little nervous about how the GF tortillas will hold up as enchiladas. We are good friends so if it is a disaster, we will just laugh and eat the sides. The ingreadients in the tortillas are cassava flour, oat hull fibre, oil, lethicin, xanthan gum, guar gum, baking powder... I know corn tortillas may have been a better choice, but in these parts, we only get small ones, about 4" diameter and they seem to have an infinite shelf life.

The second night we'll have grilled fish and salad, so no concerns there.