• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hand-pulled noodles

I get a craving for these periodically and used to have them at Aroma on Shaftesbury Avenue. The other day I walked in, tired, without looking at the menu outside, not having been there for a long while. When I sat down I realised the place had changed hands and there was nothing like it on the very boring menu. The only distinguishing characteristic was a small number of Malaysian dishes. I didn't have the energy to get up and go elsewhere so comforted myself with Hainanese Chicken which was OK - but the place annoyed me somehow and I won't be back.

A few weeks ago a friend and I were ripped off in Hakkasan with a dish of 'hand-pulled noodles' that were nothing of the sort.

So where can I get them now? Would it be Ecapital?

v

Are you saying that the whole Aroma operation has changed hands(they're several Aroma restaurants in London)? Before the change over, were the Aroma hand-pulled noodles very good? I've heard about Aroma, through a second hand source.

--------------

Steve

A few weeks ago a friend and I were ripped off in Hakkasan with a dish of 'hand-pulled noodles' that were nothing of the sort.

Yes, I've been confused by the hand-pull thing too. We ordered these at Capital (could have been Hakkasan but this it was Capital) and were dished up a plate of thin noodles with a distinctly square-cut cross-section (ie like packet noodles). When quizzed the waiter insisted they had been made that day by the chef.

I always thought hand-pulled were thinker, slightly irregular made pretty much as the name suggests. They have some wicked versions in west china which they serve in soup with mutton or chilli beef.

I dunno. Actually nowadays I prefer a good udon.

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Yes, I've been confused by the hand-pull thing too.  We ordered these at Capital (could have been Hakkasan but this it was Capital) and were dished up a plate of thin noodles with a distinctly square-cut cross-section (ie like packet noodles).  When quizzed the waiter insisted they had been made that day by the chef.

I always thought hand-pulled were thinker, slightly irregular made pretty much as the name suggests. They have some wicked versions in west china which they serve in soup with mutton or chilli beef.

I dunno. Actually nowadays I prefer a good udon.

cheerio

J

So it's a widespread rip-off then - those were exactly the ones we got and I refuse to believe they are genuine.

I certainly associate them with the meaty, irregular ones you are talking about.

As for which Aroma - I don't know. I wasn't aware of more than one Aroma - sorry. I couldn't say whether their hand-pulled noodles were very good (not being an expert on the subject :wink: ), but I certainly really liked them.

But if anyone can tell me where to get those noodles I would be very happy.

v

Actually I don't think they're too hard to make yourself - the dough is normally just flour and water - no egg. You pull them by holding a thin sausage of the dough at each end and twirling it between them, using centrifugal force to extrude it

ok, maybe i should find a picture to explain it!

j

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Actually I don't think they're too hard to make yourself - the dough is normally just flour and water - no egg. You pull them by holding a thin sausage of the dough at each end and twirling it between them, using centrifugal force to extrude it

ok, maybe i should find a picture to explain it!

j

From television demos, by top Chinese chefs showing the technique of making hand-pulled noodles, it does look like it would takes years to master. Just an observation. The ingredients used are basic. I'll grant you that.

----------------

Steve