• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Greater Boston!

Hi eGullet folks....

My name is Jennifer, and I have been around food for my whole life. My grandfather owned a bar (noted for his turtle soup) and I am former food service professional (waiter in Ohio, Chicago and Boston), a former Manager at Williams Sonoma and a former Accounting Manager/caterwaiter/caterchef for a highly regarded Boston caterer. I have since moved on to a new profession (IT) but still love to cook. I also love to collect (for use, not just for show) really high quality and/or vintage cookware/appliances (including the original Mauviel 7 ply stainless cookware, an Osterizer Beehive, and a couple of Art Deco vintage toasters).

Look forward to meeting everyone and learning from this talented group.

Techie

(aka Jennifer)

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Welcome!  It sounds like you'll fit right in here.  :) We have a lot of equipment aficionados here.  Speaking as one of them, I look forward to seeing some of your collected gear - and what you do with it. If you have any trouble figuring out how to use the forums, or where to find something, don't hesitate to ask a host.

What sorts of things do you like to cook, now that you're doing it for yourself and not professionally?  Is there anything that you're relieved not to have to cook any more?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hi all, thank you. I will be honest, as much as I love to cook, I don't really do it that often right now. I travel weekly for work, and I have a kitchen that had to be torn up due to mold and water infestation. So I have a makeshift kitchen comprised of a Burton hob, a Farberware T490 (a portable commercial convection oven), a microwave and my portable dishwasher . If I am lucky, I grill out a few times a year.

But, when my kitchen is renovated and my refurbished OKM is installed, I suspect I will revert back to my old cooking ways...roasted meats, Thai, Szechwan, French, Italian and hopefully trying my hand at homemade pasta.

FullFrontSmall.jpg

Edited by TechieTechie (log)
  • Like 5

Hi Blue, thank you for the welcome.  It's a long story...the previous owners of my house neglected it in many ways, including never cleaning the stove When I bought the house, I could never bring myself to use it (the journey on this house is a thread in and of itself). So, long story short, it is new to me. I have never cooked on an OKM, but from what I understand (from conversations mostly on GardenWeb) with its open burners and heavy duty oven insulation, it can rival any standard stove out there today and even put up a good fight with the residential/commercial models. And if I install it and hate it, I'll just rip it out and install a 36" Bluestar or Cluny. No real loss, since I only paid $600 for the OKM to begin with. I like to live on the edge ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I hope the stove will work out, @TechieTechie.  I had an old stove, not as lovely as yours, in an apartment I rented for quite some time.  I loved that thing.  The burners were way more powerful than my current Wolf, although the new one handles a low simmer better than the old behemoth. 

A number of members here shared their kitchen renovation tales (@weinoo, most recently here) and it's always interesting to follow along.  If you're interested in taking us along on your saga, I'm sure there would be interest.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TechieTechie said:

. And if I install it and hate it, I'll just rip it out and install a 36" Bluestar or Cluny. No real loss, since I only paid $600 for the OKM to begin with. I like to live on the edge ;)

I have a Blue Star. It is a beast (which is good). I love it. 

But its isn't cute like yours is.

My parents had a very similar gas stove.

stove.jpg.7d757e4ec6731fb3d5a75064c5c74b4e.jpg

very close to this one , but with both ovens having see-through glass.

and a shelf.

it did not have the white top of course , and had a shelf above the burners.

they got it in 1950 and im sure it was second hand.

they eventually got the thermostats fixed and that's what I grew up with in CA.

after they moved on I gave it away to the Salvation Army for sale.

it weighed a ton if not more.

it had pilot lights and used natural gas which was ' in the street '

here in NE  W of BOS there is no gas ' in the street ' and having the pilot lights on in the summer would have been

insufferable.

the  SA made out like bandits, a good thing , as those stoves ' peaked ' a that time in CA as big time retro.

• Like 1

Hi all.....Yep, Rotus has/had the same model stove (850) as mine...but just with different options. Mine had the 6 burner, double glass door options, the rarest setup besides a factory painted red. That is the only downside, is that there are pilot lights...but my kitchen is tiny and will not have a heat source (I'm on steam heat and don't want to give up 4 feet of wall space), so the pilot warmth will do just fine. I had a similar pilot steve/no heat setup in my first condo here, and I never noticed the kitchen being unduly hot.

Actually, Rotus, this model was made from 50-56 (IIRC) so your parents may have bought it new. Yours is a beaut. I picked mine up for a steal in Phoenix and brought it back. Restored, these guys go for 6k. It has 15k BTU open burners (with full simmer function), so although it's not Chinese restaurant BTU hot, it should be hot enough. And the ovens fit a double sheet pan (longways) with the added benefit of being smaller and faster to heat up. Like I said, if I plug it in and I hate it (luckily I already have gas in the house for my dryer), I will give it to Kay and plop in a 36" bluestar and a 4 inch wide rolling spice rack. But I don't think I will ;)

• Like 1