• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St.Patrick , AKA CornedBeef 2018

rotuts

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@menuinprogress

would you share your spice mixture ?

Sure:

2 T black pepper, crushed 
2 T coriander seeds, crushed
2 t paprika
2 t garlic powder

That is for around 3-4 lbs of corned beef. The spices get rubbed on after soaking the meat in water for about an hour, and then patting it dry. Then it sits in the fridge overnight before smoking.

• Like 1

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

4lb point just went into the smoker about an hour ago. Using Oak wood chunks. Freshly ground coarse black pepper, coriander, and mustard seed, brown sugar, garlic powder, and onion powder.

Gradually bringing the smoker up to 350F and will take it out at IT of 175F, then wrapped in paper and into the fridge overnight to set the bark for a quick 30 minute steam in the PC tommrow.

7236577430658438011.thumb.jpg.fb360dfbdf8ddf3e2b5bf6a5b08f501c.jpg3905109098650461167.thumb.jpg.4260032f88f095d38c6a0ca70146551e.jpg

• Like 1

Pulled it at 160F. Its wrapped and resting 30 min before its going into the fridge till tomorrow. Bark is set, not real dark yet, but it will be when it comes out of the PC.

Smells amazing. I had to fend off the vultures from eating it tonight.

3766153891198885210.thumb.jpg.f919f776e5fc731c083fc2fb0a040a08.jpg6763442843034517027.thumb.jpg.c273281ed5db1b9376e763cbb00186b5.jpg

• Like 8

Corned Beef and Cabbage with parsley-mustard sauce from Sunday Suppers at Lucques

79AF6AD7-A74D-44BE-AC0F-8461FC430BCA.JPG.90e22084033a10c6069df4f92f761e86.JPG

I doubt this dish was suppose to be made with $2/lb corned beef. However it was delicious. After dinner, I went to Albertsons and cleaned them out. I'm going to have corned beef for weeks!

I even convinced Mr. Smokey to buy a sous-vide, since it'll taste better and we saved so much money on the corned beef. :D

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)
  • Like 5

Stopped off in Aldi this morning to check out the corned beef situation, as they had none last week. This week, there was plenty; point cuts, most of them about 2 pounds, for $1.99, and flat cuts, larger, for $4.99 a pound. Not sure why the price difference. I got three point sections and threw two of them in the freezer; the third got a rub of coriander, black pepper, paprika, onion and garlic powder, and a bit of brown sugar, and is on the smoker now.

My grass-fed brisket is still brining; I'll cook it Saturday or Sunday.

I was pleased to find the point cuts, which are about the size I want to use for pastrami.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ask and you shall receive:

Three packages. Not a lot of visible get.

20180312_123917.thumb.jpg.9bd6d6ac793e0b2c2d443d6fa7247485.jpg

First point cut, rubbed.

20180312_165859.thumb.jpg.fc3be796f3b9b30d19b8c2e937570ed1.jpg

And smoked to an internal temp of 150. It's now wrapped in waxed paper and in the fridge to set the crust. I'll steam it tomorrow in the IP.

20180312_121347.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

Corned beef is the star but it needs it's supporting cast. Anybody started thinking about what's going to accompany the corned beef on St. Patrick's day?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Corned beef is the star but it needs it's supporting cast. Anybody started thinking about what's going to accompany the corned beef on St. Patrick's day?

I'm a fan of a nice fresh cabbage slaw with a short time in dressing to retain the crunch and vibrant flavors 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

While not an Irish dish, I sometimes serve Halushki (sauteed cabbage and noodles). My wife likes to pull the Corned beef and mix it in. I am not a fan of all-in-one meals so i keep mine seperate and also roast potatoes, carrots, and celery.

• Like 3

My plan was to keep it pretty standard. Spuds, carrots and cabbage cooked in the liquid from the sous vide bags and maybe soda bread. I don't get super excited over basic soda bread or with currants but I stumbled across a recipe for cheddar rosemary soda bread that sounds pretty tasty. But then I started thinking that asking what others are doing might lead to a change of plan, so asking early seemed like a good idea. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I got an early start last night with a chunk of pastrami from the Aldi corned beef I smoked day before yesterday. It got a 45 minute steam in the IP,  and it was just pretty fine. I had it with roasted sweet potato wedges and a salad, as I'm saving the traditional accompaniments for Sunday.

Happy upcoming birthday, @MetsFan5!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

6 hours ago, FeChef said:

Don't mind the paper plates. I like to believe the food speaks for itself.

That looks amazingly delicious. Nothing wrong with the paper plate. If you can't eat a sandwich on a paper plate, why do paper plates even exist? Honestly, my desire to not spend money on paper plates winning over my desire to not wash dishes is the only reason I don't use them more often. :D

• Like 2

No points for presentation, but pastrami and Swiss on a potato onion rye roll last night. Roll recipe on the King Arthur Flour website.20180315_075259.thumb.jpg.bb2b5fc8e27346bc5a6a1f8db33ebf20.jpg

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

55 minutes ago, kayb said:

No points for presentation, but pastrami and Swiss on a potato onion rye roll last night. Roll recipe on the King Arthur Flour website.

How are the rolls?  I copied the recipe, it looks good.

19 minutes ago, lindag said:

How are the rolls?  I copied the recipe, it looks good.

I like them. I used pumpernickel flour instead of rye; didn't use the caramel color, rye flavor or vital wheat gluten as I didn't have any of them (I KNOW I have vital wheat gluten somewhere, but I couldn't find it). I increased the yeast to 2 1/2 tsp. based on not having the gluten. They didn't rise a lot, but were quite soft and made a good sandwich roll. Good, crunchy crust. Onions aren't really noticeable in texture in the finished product, interestingly, but provide a nice mild flavor.

Don't ask. Eat it.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, Tri2Cook said:

For about 20 years I bought a corned brisket and make the standard boiled dinner (potatoes, carrots, turnips, cabbage).  Neither of us was particularly fond of the dinner, but it was traditional and we enjoy cooking for holidays.  With the just the 2 of us, there were always leftovers.  The corned beef would become Rueben sandwiches.  

About 20 year years ago we decided to cut to the chase and make Ruebens on St. Patrick's Day.  Been doing that ever since.  Here in Mexico we have found some terrific corned beef and there are at least 3 restaurants who sell good to excellent Ruebens.  

An aside: years ago we rented a house in Barra de Navidad, a small beach town.  One day we walked along the beach to the next town, Melaque.  A 45 minute walk.  Had a wonderful lunch, wandered around and at day's end, decided to grab a taxi back to Barra.  As soon as we got in the taxi at the plaza, we were engulfed in a large parade.  I asked the driver what the parade was for, he said proudly, "Es la dia de nuestro Patron."  Every village has a patron saint and we have run into these fiestas before...they are always fun.  It wasn't until a few days later when I was looking at a map of the area that I saw the full name of the town of Melaque.  It is San Patricio Melaque.  Odd to have been caught up in a St. Patrick's Day parade at the beach in Mexico!

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 6

Going to be putting my 5-pound brisket in the IP before too long. I've forgotten how long I cooked it last year. I'm thinking 60 minutes (this is a grass-fed, range-finished steer, so he's a bit more toothsome than grain-finished beef), because I want it really tender. 

Advice?

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Going to be putting my 5-pound brisket in the IP before too long. I've forgotten how long I cooked it last year. I'm thinking 60 minutes (this is a grass-fed, range-finished steer, so he's a bit more toothsome than grain-finished beef), because I want it really tender. 

Advice?

Assuming it will fit in the IP, I think you're looking at a longer cook. My source ( @JAZ ) recommends 1:45; ATK says about the same. You could probably shave some time off that by cutting it in two.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.