• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eat Your Words

Smokeydoke

This is a new show on Netflix. It's about about people who leave bad reviews on social media (yelptards, Chowhowlers) and are asked to cook a meal, then have it judged.

It is annoyingly low-budget and badly edited, but I'm enjoying it. Having been on both sides of the kitchen and a weapon of mass consumerism, this show appeals to me on every level.

Firstly, I want to be a contestant, on that show. Bad. Like I'm obsessed. If you're reading this Eat Your Words, hit me up! But I wonder if my time working in kitchens would disqualify me?

Secondly, I despise Yelptards, for many reasons... both professional and personal. And I love how this show highlights a fundamental flaw with Yelpers, they don't understand food! Why do they write with such authority on something they know so little about? They know how to eat, most of them have no problem with that, but when it comes to basic cooking fundamentals, they are so off, they make any line cook cringe.

I'm only onto the first season, but I'm looking forward to season two. I will admit the first episode with the two Filipino guys was good. Honestly, they're the only ones whose food I'd want to eat.

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)