• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blanco, Reposado or Anejo?

gulfporter

Even though we live full-time in Mexico, I don't often order (or make) margaritas.  I am a Paloma drinker when I rarely have a mixed drink.  

Had another couple over and since I know they drink margaritas, I mixed up a batch.  

I used a Reposado because that was the only tequila I have in the house.  It is a respected local small farmed tequila (we happen to know the owners).

I showed the bottle to our friends and they said that margaritas are better made with a cheaper younger Blanco.   They agreed this was a good tasting Reposado on its own (almost like a brandy to me, but I'm not a spirits aficionado).   

I am wondering if I should get a Blanco for margaritas (mine are very pure...no mixers or frozen limeade).  I feel the better quality of almost anything in a recipe makes a superior end product, so that's my hesitation to switch to Blanco, but want to hear from experts.

I do like to use blanco in a Margarita, similar to enjoying a white rum in a daiquiri. If you go with a good quality blanco (Ocho, Arette, Fortaleza, Azunia, etc), they are wonderful to sip as well. Repo doesn't necessarily mean it is better quality than a blanco. It is aged a bit so that changes the flavor profile, and it's typically more costly because of that, but more often than not I'd rather be sipping a nice blanco than a repo or an anejo so I can really taste and enjoy the agave flavor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

I would recommend a good quality (100% blue agave) blanco tequila for your Margaritas. (Good) Margaritas are all about highlighting the quality of the spirit you use, so if you use a cheap one, you will definitely notice it in the final drink.

Don't settle for the cheap stuff! What it is is mixto, or tequila mixed with neutral spirit (up to 49%!), aka tasteless junk. There is a huge difference. And as @BillBuitenhuysnoted above, you will also enjoy sipping on a good tequila (blanco or aged).

• Like 2

I'm certainly not an expert, but my rule is to to use a decent (100% agave) blanco for margaritas, along with Cointreau. The last two basic margarita tequilas I bought were Herradura Silver and Plata Hornitos and we were pretty happy with the results. I've paid more for tequila and tried other brands, but there are many to choose from and it can be a matter of personal taste. Next bottle I might try something different. 

I like a bright citrus-forward margarita and think the blanco supports that best. With a reposado tequila margarita, I am more likely to balance that flavour with Grand Marnier instead of Cointreau. 

I often add a small splash of fresh orange juice along with the lime juice. And I like Prickly Pear Margaritas but I only use the prickly pear juice or nectar, never the prickly pear syrup which I think tastes awful. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Of course 100% agave azul....our village is here in Jalisco, also home to the town of Tequila.  We have access to many small farm and distillery producers.  These are locals who are growing their blue agave in and around Lake Chapala and making a name for themselves locally.

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/44881-lakeside-s-own-tequila-makers-open-local-agave-plantation

https://acrobaticthoughts.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/tequila-sandy-y-daniel/

• Like 3

100% agave is only the first sign, right? Do they use traditional ovens/slow roasting or rapid pressure cookers? Tahona vs high efficiency commercial crusher? Slow fermenting yeast or commercial yeast with accelerators?  Column vs pot stills, etc, etc.... 

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I happen to like a margarita made with reposado tequila.  Maybe I haven't found the right blanco.  Or maybe I just found what I like :D

Drink what ya like is the way to go!

• Like 3

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not into margaritas, but I just happened to come across a Good Eats episode and Alton recommends Olmeca Altos Plata Tequila, 100% Agave, it's an unaged tequila, for around $30.

He recommends reposadoes for sipping, to taste the finer nuances of flavor.

But then again, what does Alton know? He also omits Cointreau and muddles fresh oranges. This is his idea of a perfect margarita.

Call it something else if they protest. How about an Anita?

• Like 2

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎20 at 2:53 PM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

By the way, a decent mezcal makes a pretty good margarita

Yes it does. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

13 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

I'm not into margaritas, but I just happened to come across a Good Eats episode and Alton recommends Olmeca Altos Plata Tequila, 100% Agave, it's an unaged tequila, for around $30.

He recommends reposadoes for sipping, to taste the finer nuances of flavor.

But then again, what does Alton know? He also omits Cointreau and muddles fresh oranges. This is his idea of a perfect margarita.

Call it something else if they protest. How about an Anita?

Actually, we also omit Cointreau in favor of fresh-squeezed orange juice. Partly because it gives them a lovely fresh orange flavor, and partly because I no longer drink anything with more than one kind of liquor. Additional sweetness comes from a dash of simple syrup. Fresh-squeezed lime juice (from our tree), fresh-squeezed orange juice, simple syrup, and your tequila of choice--this recipe gets raves from everyone we serve it to. It's my husband's specialty, and he doesn't give out the recipe to just anybody.

I disagree with AB about reposados--we prefer blanco for its flavor of the roasted agave, both for sipping and for margaritas. We enjoy Olmeca Altos plata and include it on our "favorites" list. Plus it's great value. When sampling tequilas you can find some very delicious ones (and some very expensive ones), but Los Altos is among the best values. Another fave is Espolon blanco. What's interesting is how different distilleries bring out different flavors from the same blue agave.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

@Nancy in Pátzcuaro that sounds delicious but I would not consider that a margarita. A margarita must have tequila, some type of orange-flavored liquor,  and fresh lime juice. Salt on the rim is optional. I'm sure many recipes add simple syrup, Alton uses agave nectar, but that could be optional too.  

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

A well made margarita using quality ingredients is always a good thing, whether it be blanco, reposado or anejo. Different? Sure. But still good!

That said, I do tend to drift towards a reposado. But perhaps a s a whiskey drinker that bit of barrel influence is hard for me to let go of. And a good anejo I typically prefer to drink as is. No adulteration necessary!

3 oz reposado tequila

1 oz Cointreau (or Solerno blood orange or perhaps even better to me agavero orange)

1 oz Damiana liqueur

2 oz lime

I like my margaritas big! A well chilled glass and minimal ice Or better yet a rare occasion to use a non ice chilling method. I have these silly glasses with water in the walls of the glass that you can freeze. Works well and prevents excessive dilution!

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2