• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

We made the eggs in home-ec when I was in jr high, so not so difficult. You just need a steady hand, and an awareness that you will probably break a few. Essentially, you just lightly wet some sugar with a few drops of water/color and then pack into a stiff mold, and allow it to dry. Components get attached with royal icing.

That's quite the display, I can see why you're starting now.

You can always make all sorts of things in marzipan (better for fine detail), pastillage,  or fondant. You should run tests or make your own marzipan, though. I made the mistake once of taking some lovely canned marzipan in a #10 can to a competition only to discover that it would not harden.

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

We made the eggs in home-ec when I was in jr high, so not so difficult. You just need a steady hand, and an awareness that you will probably break a few. Essentially, you just lightly wet some sugar with a few drops of water/color and then pack into a stiff mold, and allow it to dry. Components get attached with royal icing.

That's quite the display, I can see why you're stating now.

You can always make all sorts of things in marzipan (better for fine detail), pastillage,  or fondant. You should run tests or make your own marzipan, though. I made the mistake once of taking some lovely canned marzipan in a #10 can to a competition only to discover that it would not harden.