• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is a "bullet cake" a thing?

aperture

Last August I ate dinner at a place called Ester in Sydney. Dessert was something listed on the menu as "chocolate liquorice bullet cake". It was a normal-looking slice of chocolate cake with 2-3 layers, a dense (but, I think, not flourless) texture, and a wonderful chocolate/liquorice flavor.

My question: does "bullet cake" actually mean something here? Googling turns up various gun-themed cakes, which is something completely different.

1 minute ago, IowaDee said:

The caliber of these answers is amazing.  I'd like to help but I just draw a blank.  

GGGGGRRRRROOOOAAAANNNN

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh, dear sweet baby Jesus. It's too much. It's just too much. 

My best shot isn't even on the target, so I won't take it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I read that in the 1880's in Tombstone, an individual serving of booze cost the same as a bullet and bartenders would accept a bullet from poor cowboys for a small glass. That is how it came to be called a shot of whiskey. It is possibly how getting a shot came to be called "buying a round"

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I know.  I normally recoil from scraping the bottom of the barrel like this, but I've had a thread like this in my sights for a while.

We need a groan emoji here faster than a speeding bullet. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I read that in the 1880's in Tombstone, an individual serving of booze cost the same as a bullet and bartenders would accept a bullet from poor cowboys for a small glass. That is how it came to be called a shot of whiskey. It is possibly how getting a shot came to be called "buying a round"

Amusing tale, bu sadly, a myth. The expression 'shot' meaning a portion of booze was in use 200 years before then. A 'round of drinks' is even earlier.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 8/03/2018 at 9:05 AM, Anna N said:

We need a groan emoji here faster than a speeding bullet. 

What do you need an emoji for?  You're a groan woman!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory