• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from San Diego!

Hello everyone!  I'm a hobbyist baker and candymaker currently living in San Diego.  I have lurked these forums numerous times to find information on ingredients and techniques that are not easy to find elsewhere, and I look forward to actually joining in the conversations!

• Like 2

Welcome, Trufflenaut!  We have a few other members in the San Diego area, and we have a LOT of talented bakers and confectioners.  Since you've been lurking you probably know where to find things already, but if you have any questions about how to work the forums feel free to ask a host.  

I'm always impressed at the baked goods and confections that our members crank out, and look forward to your contributions.  Do you also cook? If so, what sorts of things do you like to cook? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks!  I do a decent bit of cooking - but generally just food to stuff in my face - nothing too exciting, but every year I do a multi-course feast for family and friends on New Year's Eve, where I try out a bunch of recipes that are usually too involved, difficult, or expensive for day to day cooking. :)  I'm generally most interested in learning how to do things I haven't done before, to get a little bit of knowledge about everything - such as how to smoke meats, how to make lollipops, how to make bread, how to infuse sugars, etc.  I want to know stuff like *why* this technique creates more flavor than that one, or changes the texture of this ingredient, or makes this neat trick possible - I find that the more I learn about new things, the better I understand the things I already know, and it leads to more interesting, creative, and fun foods.

• Like 2