• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

boudin noir

spatchcocking fowl

Posted (edited)

I have difficulty spatchcocking birds ( chickens and ducks ) using kitchen shears, chefs knives and cleavers. My hand hurts from shears and the bird is usually a mess whichever weapon I use. I recently saw on Amazon garden pruning shears that could cut through a 3/4 inch branch. I bought them. (I often use non-cooking stuff when I'm cooking.) They are great. They cut through the birds with little effort and the birds look as intended.

Edited by Smithy Corrected title spelling (log)

Chicken (or duck) with it's back on the cutting board—a whack with a heavy chef's knife (or the like) on both sides of the spine should split it easily.

Use the spine for stock.

• Like 1

Good timing.  I split a bird for tonight's dinner about an hour ago and it's currently resting, salted.  Like @DiggingDogFarm my technique is to place the spine against the cutting board, then apply my heaviest chef knife on either side.  Very neat.  (But in my case I pitch the spine and the neck along with other innards.)

In my experience kitchen (or other) shears for breaking down poultry are an exercise in frustration and a pain to clean.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

kitchen shears , hands down

if you are having trouble , you've for crappy shears

this one is The One :

prestera-fish-poultry-shears-black__39970_PE133223_S4.JPG.02da056678337f63229bbdd0dad835a5.JPG

my unit :Shear1.thumb.jpg.e44ea18285d335cb4c89b730c18ed385.jpg

Shear2.thumb.jpg.8174c1f7996920928d6f599ba2eccbb0.jpg

its razor sharp and not expensive.  It has very good leverage .  I wash it by holding one handle while its open and use a kitchen brush and soap

then pat and air dry open in a safe place.

you have the respect its sharpness , but once you do there is nothing like it

this is not the IKEA one to get for cutting chicken :

41ztEJNV2jL.jpg.99932c385d0de6e89563bb821a562edd.jpg

hover its great for all around kitchen cutting.

I think the above is < 4 USD.   I have these all over the house  I can reach for one of these when ever I want !

suprise.gif.7f0d28b28b131d73ec0867b3d2923d0d.gif

when you are using the HeavyDuty one , top picks , on a chicken back , or anything else

Make Sure you know where all of your finger tips are.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I'm going to have to look for one of these shears. Every year at Thanksgiving my husband and I struggle to cut apart 2 big turkeys (they cook perfectly that way--leg/thigh/wings first and breasts last). Those poultry shears look ideal. Any idea where to find them? Amazon, I suppose.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

kitchen shears , hands down

if you are having trouble , you've for crappy shears

this one is The One :

prestera-fish-poultry-shears-black__39970_PE133223_S4.JPG.02da056678337f63229bbdd0dad835a5.JPG

my unit :Shear1.thumb.jpg.e44ea18285d335cb4c89b730c18ed385.jpg

Shear2.thumb.jpg.8174c1f7996920928d6f599ba2eccbb0.jpg

its razor sharp and not expensive.  It has very good leverage .  I wash it by holding one handle while its open and use a kitchen brush and soap

then pat and air dry open in a safe place.

you have the respect its sharpness , but once you do there is nothing like it

this is not the IKEA one to get for cutting chicken :

41ztEJNV2jL.jpg.99932c385d0de6e89563bb821a562edd.jpg

hover its great for all around kitchen cutting.

I think the above is < 4 USD.   I have these all over the house  I can reach for one of these when ever I want !

suprise.gif.7f0d28b28b131d73ec0867b3d2923d0d.gif

when you are using the HeavyDuty one , top picks , on a chicken back , or anything else

Make Sure you know where all of your finger tips are.

Where does one acquire a heavy duty shear like that?

Posted (edited)

the top shears are from IKEA

Ive found them :

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40157720/

10 big USAD !

they are outstanding.

just make sure you use the inner-most part of the shears.

that give you tremendous leverage.

Ive done 22 lbs turkey backs w very little problems 

just keep track of your fingers and small to large chldren.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

My method is to grasp the bird by the neck, with the back towards me and simply run a chef's knife down each side of the back, all the way to the to tail. It only becomes difficult if you go off course. I have used shears, but I find my method to be the most expeditious. Of course, it helps to have done thousands of them in a restaurant setting.

HC

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I'm going to have to look for one of these shears. Every year at Thanksgiving my husband and I struggle to cut apart 2 big turkeys (they cook perfectly that way--leg/thigh/wings first and breasts last). Those poultry shears look ideal. Any idea where to find them? Amazon, I suppose.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Amazon Mexico link to what looks like a similar pair.  You can get them tomorrow!  Others available, too.  search: Tijeras para aves or Tijeras para cocina. You can also search in English but I get more results (and often better prices) for items listed in Spanish). 

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Metaltex-251801-Tijeras-para-aves/dp/B019DW7K2Q/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1520177079&sr=8-18&keywords=tijeras+cocina

Posted (edited)

this looks a bit more like the one I have :

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Metaltex-251805-Tijeras-para-Cocina/dp/B002VDSKKQ/ref=pd_sbs_79_1/138-9357291-1943106?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4CN9AXNA4A2SJDGJBSFA

the red one might be fine. Indeed its heavier than the black one that looks like an IKEA clone

indeed the handle looks a bit safer to use. maybe slip resistant ?

Turkeys and Chickens are pretty slippery in my experience

the IKEA feels heavy in the hand , a good thing

it weights 251 gms

the blade is 3 1/2 inches tip to wide open ' fulcrum '

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1