• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon

added commentary

I'm sorry I posted my ice cream recipe. I didn't know I was such a bad person.

Mexican vanilla extract 

It's heartening to know we have a HACCP instructor reviewing posts.

Yes, the warnings are from the Chez Panisse Dessert book, and confirmed by my own experience. The book had an even more explicit warning.

Making a good custard base is trivial if you use a digital thermometer, and even easier if you do it sous vide.

Thomas Keller (page 251,  Under Pressure) has simplified custards bases to heating in a sous vide bag at 179.6-185 degrees for 20 minutes.  

I assume the time was selected at least in part, to assure his base was pasteurized. It works great (personal experience).  I didn't list the sous vide approach, as not everyone has the equipment.

With regards the 100% cream selection, I tried a variety of bases with varying ratios of whole milk, half&half and cream.

I selected the ratio that gave me the mouth feel and flavor I thought was best

I tried the ice cream with/without caramel.

In the end I agreed with the statement in the Chez Panisse Dessert book:

"This is a more richly flavored variation of coffee ice cream"

The recipe represents my personal preference for flavor and mouth feel. 

I did make one batch using wood roasted beans that I thought was terrible, but someone else loved!

To each his own.

Hope that helps.

Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon

added commentary

Mexican vanilla extract 

Yes, the warnings are from the Chez Panisse Dessert book, and confirmed by my own experience. The book had an even more explicit warning.

Making a good custard base is trivial if you use a digital thermometer, and even easier if you do it sous vide.

Thomas Keller (page 251,  Under Pressure) has simplified custards bases to heating in a sous vide bag at 179.6-185 degrees for 20 minutes.  

I assume the time was selected at least in part, to assure his base was pasteurized. It works great (personal experience).  I didn't list the sous vide approach, as not everyone has the equipment.

With regards the 100% cream selection, I tried a variety of bases with varying ratios of whole milk, half&half and cream.

I selected the ratio that gave me the mouth feel and flavor I thought was best

I tried the ice cream with/without caramel.

In the end I agreed with the statement in the Chez Panisse Dessert book:

"This is a more richly flavored variation of coffee ice cream"

To each his own.

Hope that helps.

Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon

Mexican vanilla extract 

Hope that helps.