• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric frypans/skillets

ElsieD

I looked to see if this topic had been previously discussed and it has, but more along the lines of "what do you use if for".  As I am interested in the model/make you have, i decided to start a new topic.

I used to have a Black and Decker electric frypan that I was quite happy with but then it died.  It was purchaed in the late '70s or early '80s and quit in the late '90s.  I haven't replaced it.  But, I am now thinking of buying one but am not familiar with the current crop.  I would like a square pan and one that holds whatever temperature it is set at.  My understanding is that some are better than others at this.  I would also like one that is not too shallow.  Any recommendations?

My experience with EFPs is from a while back but what I didn't like about the ones I used was that 'heat ring' in the base...it caused very uneven cooking.  Apart from the fact that they didn't hold a consistent temperature.

Thanks for posting about this, @ElsieD.  My mom had one when I was growing up and it was great for shallow frying and did a good job of maintaining temp. It was also great for pancakes.  I've never had one myself but was thinking it might be handy. 

The ones she had did have the "heat ring" that @lindag mentions but must have distributed the heat fairly well as there wasn't a problem with even cooking. 

Edited to add that this is the one I was considering.   The base can fit inside the pan to save storage space (though that can apparently scratch the non-stick coating) and has pretty good reviews.  It's rectangular, so it doesn't fit your need for a square pan. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

For the same price, and nearly the same review ranking/customer satisfaction, you could get an induction cooktop that would allow you to use larger (or smaller) volumes than just a frying pan.

• Like 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Not too many portable induction hobs can support a 12 inch cooking surface!   That is why I hang onto this

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have two that I have been using for years. One is Rectangular 12 x 15 made by Black & Decker, the other 12 x 12 made by Oster they have worked perfectly for 20+ years.

In fact, I took one to an eG Potluck  holding a big batch of Carnitas. back in late 2004.

The newer ones have a slightly different base but the innards are identical.  The very same control power cord as mine.

Hamilton Beach makes a "deep dish" one that has a ceramic lining. The gals at the HOA office got one to use for the occasional committee breakfasts and it works beautifully.  (They also bought one of my big "vintage" GE electric griddles for pancakes because they don't make them now, at least not that size for home. 18 x 24) 

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett