• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Thanks for posting about this, @ElsieD.  My mom had one when I was growing up and it was great for shallow frying and did a good job of maintaining temp. It was also great for pancakes.  I've never had one myself but was thinking it might be handy. 

The ones she had did have the "heat ring" that @lindag mentions but must have distributed the heat fairly well as there wasn't a problem with even cooking. 

Edited to add that this is the one I was considering.   The base can fit inside the pan to save storage space (though that can apparently scratch the non-stick coating) and has pretty good reviews.  It's rectangular, so it doesn't fit your need for a square pan. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Thanks for posting about this, @ElsieD.  My mom had one when I was growing up and it was great for shallow frying and did a good job of maintaining temp. It was also great for pancakes.  I've never had one myself but was thinking it might be handy. 

The ones she had did have the "heat ring" that @lindag mentions but must have distributed the heat fairly well as there wasn't a problem with even cooking.