• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
heidih

Knife Skills - Academy award nominee

This documentary (available on New Yorker website) follows the opening of a fine dining French restaurant in Cleveland, Ohio staffed by people just released from prison. Ed Levine of Serious Eats interviews the resturanteur and film-maker here. Part 2 to come.   

• Like 3

Evan Kleiman recently interviewed filmmaker Thomas Lennon and the founder of the training program, Brandon Chrostowski on her Good Food radio show/podcast.  

Here's a link to that interview on KCRW. 

And the movie trailer 

I shared this with a professor (Michigan based) and thought it wise to see how they were doing. I got this back from Brandon: Heather also emailed and said they have opened a butcher shop and deli.  Cool beans as they used to say

Brandon E. Chrostowski <brandon@edwinsrestaurant.org>

7:27 AM (3 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me

Heidi,

Everything's going great!  Thanks for asking.   Regards,

Brandon E. Chrostowski
Founder ~ President ~ CEO
EDWINS Leadership & Restaurant Institute
13101 Shaker Square
Cleveland, Ohio 44120
www.edwinsrestaurant.org
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I saw the documentary last night. It was kinda cool to see guys from Cleveland, OH and shots of the houses etc. 

I thought that point that Brandon made about how his job allows him to put on a suit and tie  (giving him self-esteem and sense of pride in what he's doing) in the morning was deep - like it made a lot of sense. 

I guess that's why some of us wants to work until we die and get depressed when we have to retire. 

And it's cool how Brandon has empathy for the ex-cons because he used to be one and a second chance was so meaningful to him. 

It looks like B experienced trauma or had a hard time growing up - maybe these past issues make him feel sad in the head sometimes.   

Edited by eugenep (log)

Sign in to follow this