• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This is the closest I've ever been to the genuine KFC recipe

emmeyekayeee

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

You posted links to Googledrive not YouTube. We need your password to access your Google drive.  Please send it to me by DM along with your bank account PIN and credit card numbers. :D

You can embed YouTube videos very easily. Just enter the main YouTube link. You have given the mobile version links which may be the reason they have not embedded.

Here they are correctly embedded.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Has anyone compared KFC chicken with Popeye's?

We have both nearby but the KFC is a whole lot easier and quicker to get to so I haven't tried Popeye's yet...and I also want to try their shrimp.

Edited by lindag (log)

Two completely different, pardon the pun, animals. There are great (if you consider the minutae great) differences in technique and ingredients.

Popeye's is flakier and spicier. 

I wouldn't even attempt to replicate Popeye's personally. I've invested too much mindset on the KFC effort.

• Like 1

I'm not really a fan of KFC. 

I do like Popeye's. It's always fresher, I've occasionally had to wait a couple minutes for the chicken to finish cooking. 

Their red beans and rice is a favorite as well. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

23 hours ago, lindag said:

Has anyone compared KFC chicken with Popeye's?

We have both nearby but the KFC is a whole lot easier and quicker to get to so I haven't tried Popeye's yet...and I also want to try their shrimp.

Popeye's wins hands down.  This is based on my analysis of our annual office Christmas party,  over the course of the 20 years I was one of those responsible for organizing it (for 60 total staff).  We always had a Honey Baked ham and chicken as the core proteins (with tons of sides, usually staff contributions).  Over these 20 years, the staff feedback went from 80/20 in favor of KFC to 80/20 in favor of Popeye's.  Maybe it was due to changes in their recipes, the changes in taste buds or the changes in staff.  But that was what we saw.  

• Like 2

I've looked into Todd Wilbur's recipe, and I think that any recipe that uses egg and milk creates acrust that isn't at all like KFC.

Also, I think it's more than fair to pick favourites, but I want to see if I can replicate the KFC recipe at home, taste and texture, so I can enjoy it when I want. Perhaps, after I get this recipe down pat, I'll get after Popeye's....or Church's. Yum.

@emmeyekayeee, Here is another discussion of the KFC original recipe that might interest you. It has a link to a video of the Colonel frying his chicken for Tennessee Ernie Ford and Minnie Pearl. He doesn't disclose the spices, but does mention the chicken being soaked in a milk/egg wash before coating with the dry mix.

> ^ . . ^ <

Yup, I've seen that video.....quite a few times, actually. I am think that it might be one of the differences between modern era KFC, which I've grown up with (since the 70's), and The Colonel's era. 

I can say, with conviction, that an milk and egg wash creates way too much of a crust to be KFC comparable. I've tried it every which way, to no avail.

I will, however, check out that thread. Thank you!

No, you're right. Since I don't have one, I'm trying to replicate it as accurately as possible without one. That's why I focus so much on texture moreso than flavour. 

I should pick up a pressure cooker.....

By the way, all that fear mongering about putting oil in a stove top pressure cooker is garbage. I've done it ~ 100 times with no ill effect. Just fill up the pot 50% max and turn down the heat after locking it. There's no problem. 

Im glad you have a tasty project !

Todd Wilbur never got close until he rented a PF.

shame that show is not around.

I enjoyed it and many others.

and here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylgkoRdZ50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfHZYj1sMYI

http://www.cmt.com/video-clips/yo5wq4/top-secret-recipe-todd-wilbur-interview-kfc

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Yes. I've watched those two top Videos before but I can't get that CMT show. I'd like to see his finished product of fried chicken. I'm kinda not interested in roasted chicken. That doesn't make my nostalgic juices flow.