• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IACP and Six Seasons

I've been following along with this story and I was very sorry to see the Six Seasons awards rescinded.

Someone at IACP should have recognized the potential for apparent conflict of interest and addressed it much earlier in the process.  As is evident from the name of the organization,  they have directors and officers who are active culinary professionals and could potentially receive award nominations in various categories - cookbook and non-cookbook.  Many professional societies confer awards that may go to members and spell out the procedures they take to ensure fairness.   Shame on IACP for not having procedures in place to deal up-front with this apparent conflict and having to rescind the awards.

• Like 4

And at the same time...we have become obsessed with potential-but-not-actual conflicts of interest. Getting crazier when anyone cares about what twitter thinks esp an organization that isn't directly dealing with the public. 

• Like 2

I read this unfortunate piece of news this morning. I’m reminded of the screw up at the Oscars. But this time there were even more losers since no one received the award.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I know I read somewhere that awards improve books sales considerably. I could not find any back up for this but it sounds reasonable.  If true then it is really sad for Six Seasons.  It is certainly a book that deserves to have an audience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog