• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

@Shelby, I don't do heat without A/C either. I don't have to have it in the 60s, but I don't want it above 75, either. Here are a few faves that mostly utilize the less heat-generating appliances and/or can be prepped and cooked early.

Marinated roast beef: I do either chuck roast, and shred it, in the IP, or tri-tip or round roast, sous vide. Pull the chuck or slice the cooled tri-tip or round, put meat in a plastic dish, and cover with a good bottled Italian dressing (or make up your own). Refrigerate. Makes a good sandwich, too.

Pasta salad: Use the IP to cook a pound of elbow noodles. Slice salami or Lebanon bologna in strips or small dice, or use sliced turkey or ham, shredded or small diced and grated or diced cheese. Add diced hardboiled eggs if you have a notion. Add green peas (frozen steamed in bag and then drained and let dry on paper towels are fine), and some corn kernels. Add diced, steamed carrots, cooled, if you want. Make up your favorite dressing. (I like homemade ranch, about the only application in which I care for ranch dressing). Refrigerate.

Roast a chicken, early in the day. Let it cool. Put together a salad of Romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, olives, feta cheese and chicken. Dress right before eating with a viniagrette that's heavy on oregano.

Summer tomato pasta: Early in the day, dice up some tomatoes and mince some garlic. Add olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar and let it sit on the counter all day, stirring when you think about it. Cook pasta, top with sauce, add grated parmesan, dig in. You can add diced salami or other sausage to this.

Use the rest of that roast chicken, with cheese, peppers, and whatever else strikes your fancy, to stuff potatoes. Bake them in the microwave, broil them in the CSO.

Bean salad of your choice, courtesy of the IP and Rancho Gordo!u

I keep a couple of cold marinated salads in the fridge all summer. Cucumber, onion and carrots (parboil the carrots just a bit first), maybe cauliflower if I have it on hand. Jail slaw (for a quick side or on a sandwich). 

As somebody has mentioned, capreses.I love 'em with homemade ricotta. No need to go to the store for fresh mozz.

Shoot the A/C repairman.

Drink a lot.

If you still have an ice house in town, go get you a 50-pound block of ice; put it in a tub. Set it in the kitchen and turn a box fan across it. 

kayb

kayb

@Shelby, I don't do heat without A/C either. I don't have to have it in the 60s, but I don't want it above 75, either. Here are a few faves that mostly utilize the less heat-generating appliances and/or can be prepped and cooked early.

Marinated roast beef: I do either chuck roast, and shred it, in the IP, or tri-tip or round roast, sous vide. Pull the chuck or slice the cooled tri-tip or round, put meat in a plastic dish, and cover with a good bottled Italian dressing (or make up your own). Refrigerate. Makes a good sandwich, too.

Pasta salad: Use the IP to cook a pound of elbow noodles. Slice salami or Lebanon bologna in strips or small dice, or use sliced turkey or ham, shredded or small diced and grated or diced cheese. Add diced hardboiled eggs if you have a notion. Add green peas (frozen steamed in bag and then drained and let dry on paper towels are fine), and some corn kernels. Add diced, steamed carrots, cooled, if you want. Make up your favorite dressing. (I like homemade ranch, about the only application in which I care for ranch dressing). Refrigerate.

Roast a chicken, early in the day. Let it cool. Put together a salad of Romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, olives, feta cheese and chicken. Dress right before eating with a viniagrette that's heavy on oregano.

Summer tomato pasta: Early in the day, dice up some tomatoes and mince some garlic. Add olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar and let it sit on the counter all day, stirring when you think about it. Cook pasta, top with sauce, add grated parmesan, dig in. You can add diced salami or other sausage to this.

Use the rest of that roast chicken, with cheese, peppers, and whatever else strikes your fancy, to stuff potatoes. Bake them in the microwave, broil them in the CSO.

Bean salad of your choice, courtesy of the IP and Rancho Gordo!u

I keep a couple of cold marinated salads in the fridge all summer. Cucumber, onion and carrots (parboil the carrots just a bit first), maybe cauliflower if I have it on hand. Jail slaw (for a quick side or on a sandwich). 

As somebody has mentioned, capreses.I love 'em with homemade ricotta. No need to go to the store for fresh mozz.

Shoot the A/C repairman.

Drink a lot.