• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I guess I do ok with the heat, I haven't had A/C in my adult life.  This includes my years in Mississippi and Alabama.  I'm considering getting a window unit for my bedroom, my tolerance at night is . . . changing. 

So what that means, I do have general rules for summer cooking versus winter.  The main thing is, I hoard steaks and sausages for the summer, and don't really cook big roast-type meats after May or so.  I do cook full meals through the summer, and even fry; but as a rule if it has to go in the oven, or cook for a very long time, it has to be done very early in the morning.  Then I'll just reheat it for dinner. 

Also, I use the pressure cooker a lot more in the summer.  I gather that the IP works along the same lines, and I would guess since you aren't running the stove it would keep the house cooler?

It's weird though; I crave fried food in hot weather.  Which is the hottest thing on earth to have to stand there and do, and also you don't get its glory in the reheated version. 

I should mention, the summer dinner cooking usually starts with a stiff gin and tonic and some cold watermelon.  Possibly this is the main *tip*.

But then, I just stand there and fry.  

SLB

SLB

I guess I do ok with the heat, I haven't had A/C in my adult life.  This includes my years in Mississippi and Alabama.  I'm considering getting a window unit for my bedroom, my tolerance at night is . . . changing. 

So what that means, I do have general rules for summer cooking versus winter.  The main thing is, I hoard steaks and sausages for the summer, and don't really cook big roast-type meats after May or so.  I do cook full meals through the summer, and even fry; but as a rule if it has to go in the oven, or cook for a very long time, it has to be done very early in the morning.  Then I'll just reheat it for dinner. 

Also, I use the pressure cooker a lot more in the summer.  I gather that the IP works along the same lines, and I would guess since you aren't running the stove it would keep the house cooler?

It's weird though; I crave fried food in hot weather.  Which is the hottest thing on earth to have to stand there and do, and also you don't get its glory in the reheated version. 

I should mention, the summer dinner cooking usually starts with a stiff gin and tonic and some cold watermelon.  

But then, I just stand there and fry.