• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Howdy from Big Sky Country

nginear

Hey all,

New member from Montana.  From the browsing I have already done, I can tell there is a TON of stuff I can learn right here, and I look forward to it.  I have a bunch of interests cooking wise (smoking, bbq, various cuisine types) but I am just a simple home cook hoping to become better.

Thanks for having me here. 

• Like 1

Rule #3: Don't believe what you're told.  Double check.

Welcome! All types/ranges of cooks here, from the enthusiastic home variety to professional chefs at fine restaurants, not to mention some outstanding bakers and candy-makers. Jump right in. Talk to us about what you're smoking (of the cuisine variety, I mean!).

• Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Welcome also.  I am a little north of you in British Columbia, Canada.  We are in the mountains but a little north of us it is cattle country in some nice wide valleys with lots of grass growing.  Do you seek out locally raised, grass fed beef?  Are sheep raised in your area?  We love the beef and the lamb from our beloved Vale Farms, here, http://www.valefarms.com

There is also a farmer who raises Berkshire Pigs. And I have my guy down south who raises chickens.  Meat is important! :smile:

Are there many farmers markets in your area?  

cheers and don't be afraid to jump in, we don't bite....usually :raz:

Thanks for the warm welcome all.  I truly appreciate it.

Okanagancook,  I do get my beef locally sourced.  I buy a half cow at a time from my old neighbor.  I don't know of a lot of sheep where I am, although I know there are some sheep ranchers throughout the state. There's a pretty good butcher close by and I think he sources as much as he can fairly locally also.  There's a couple farmer's markets that run here, but only in the late spring/early summer through fall.

kayb, lately I've been cold smoking.  Typically cheeses (cheddar, mozzarella) although going to try some Gouda along with the others this weekend (I hope).   I have also smoked some bourbon.  Definitely a little different taste, and I do kind of like it.  Learned not to keep the bourbon under the mozzarella in the smoker with the first batch I did.

Hope I got all the questions answered.  If not, keep firing away.  Always willing to help where I can. :)

• Like 1

Rule #3: Don't believe what you're told.  Double check.

Nice to support the local farmers.

Penticton  has the best rated farmers market in British Columbia.  Starts April 28.  So many great vendors.  I love it.  We are in a favourable growing zone so plants grow like crazy here.

• Like 1