• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dairy intolerance

Alexandra:

Since I hit 30 my stomach has become increasingly intolerant to eating dairy products. While some affect me more than others (cows-milk based cheeses, cream sauces, ice cream) and though I do occassionally indulge in a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt or a slice of pizza, I'm starting to feel a bit deprived. Since Vegetarian Times also covers Vegan interests, and thus some of your readers do not eat dairy at all, even though I do eat meat it sounds like I have a lot in common with these people.

Can you tell me about:

1) Premium non-dairy frozen desserts that are out on the market today?

2) Soymilk products that actually taste GOOD (coffee creamers, soy and tofu cheeses)

3) Mail order sources and catalogs for these things?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason: sorry for a delayed response. Your questions:

Can you tell me about:

1) Premium non-dairy frozen desserts that are out on the market today? Have you tried Double Rainbow Soy Cream; Soy Delicious; and Sweet Nothings?

2) Soymilk products that actually taste GOOD (coffee creamers, soy and tofu cheeses)

Silk Creamers and from the West Coast, Follow Your Heart cheeses...

3) Mail order sources and catalogs for these things? Spoke with a veggie source who says that the industry has encountered problems and many companies haven't gone the mail-order route with perisables because of shipping costs of such highly perishable products. Hope that helps...