• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Regina3000

Serving soup - dealing with the liquid in a manner fair to all

23 hours ago, gfweb said:

I have long had similar thoughts about women. But that's beyond the scope of a soup discussion.

Let me refine that: I have come to the conclusion that living with men is somewhat overrated. Y'all are fine on an intermittent basis. As I am certain we women are. Hell, I don't like dealing with me on a constant basis.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

Let me refine that: I have come to the conclusion that living with men is somewhat overrated. Y'all are fine on an intermittent basis. As I am certain we women are. Hell, I don't like dealing with me on a constant basis.

Lol. 

Ignoring  the biological imperatives , I think we'd have a bounty on each other if the game was played out. 

Fortunately there is a sort of detent mediated by food

On 28/02/2018 at 3:28 AM, kayb said:

Bloke here and I agree with you. I live alone and feed myself soup and I can tie my own shoe laces. Perhaps the OP could try not making soup. 

• Haha 3

On 2/27/2018 at 8:22 AM, Shalmanese said:

I don't understand, it seems like you both value the solid stuff more than the brothy stuff. So shouldn't the solution just be to make a soup with more solid stuff and less brothy stuff?

I try, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. And really, there's maybe 1/4" to 1/2" of brothy stuff over the solid.

5 hours ago, Doofa said:

Bloke here and I agree with you. I live alone and feed myself soup and I can tie my own shoe laces. Perhaps the OP could try not making soup. 

I don't really make soup all that often. Maybe once a month, or even less, exactly because of this problem.

Eating soup is a good way to eat fewer calories, if you're trying to lose weight, which we are both trying to do. Plus, it tastes good. Both of us agree on that. I think the best way to deal with it is for me to dish out the soup, THEN call him to dinner.

On the other hand, he does this with things served over noodles or rice, too, if I don't mix the noodles or rice in before serving. So with anything served over rice or noodles, either I mix it in before service, or I hand him a plate that I've already dished out, after putting away the leftovers.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My favorite wintertime soup is a Potato, Sausage and Kale soup that is SO good; the broth is every bit as good as the solids.

Recipes available via Google or I can post the one I use.

Some recipes use kielbasa,  prefer spicy Italian.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lindag said:

My favorite wintertime soup is a Potato, Sausage and Kale soup that is SO good; the broth is every bit as good as the solids.

Recipes available via Google or I can post the one I use.

Some recipes use kielbasa,  prefer spicy Italian.

Oh, please post yours!